power surge caused PC to be unstable

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a CyberPower UPS since 4/02. Then we had a thunderstorm a couple weeks ago and when lightning struck, there went the UPS battery backup. Luckily that was the only thing to go. Since my warranty had expired they couldn't do anything for me. So I decided to buy a surge protector from Home Depot instead.

Larry said:
how do you check the chipsets?

PSU
motherboard
harddrive

thanks
you can check the PSU and motherboard by putting new ones in and seeing if they work, or by geting a PSU/motherboard tester (don't know how much they cost)

you can do a chkdsk to check the hard drive (go to command, and type "chkdsk /r")

*edit* first I would try another PSU, and if that doesn't work, try a new motherboard.

I bought a new power supply and just put it in.... HEY it booted up and seems to be working .... (is it working better?)

put in a 400 watt vs. the 360 that was in the box

I also bought a new, bigger, better UPS -- went with APC

so far, so good

okay... am I imagining this or what...

IS my PC running faster because of the slightly larger PSU...
360 to 400 watt

Apps seem to load a little faster, quicker????

is a computer that picky when it comes to a power supply?
I guess a good, steady stream off good clean power is important... but never thought "power" that way :)

I had an Enlight one... now I got one never heard of.... "Athena Power" ----- but I like it so far :)

THANKS for everyones help

360W, yeah a lot of comptuers would struggle with that.

I wouldn't call a computer "picky" for a power supply. it will take what it gets, but it won't always work properly with a bad one.

the other thing is the quality of PSU. sometimes you see PSU's that say "max XXX W"
if it says "max" that means it probabbly will only get that occasionally. what you need to look for is a PSU that can constantly output what it's rated at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom