power supplys blowing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyc3

Solid State Member
Hi,

After leaving my pc on the other night i woke the next morning to find it had shut down and wouldnt power back on again. After some trial and error i detirmined it was the power supply had gone. I thought nothing of it as im sure i have had the 10k stated hours out of it already.

So of i went to the pc shop and grabbed another PSU, all plugged back in and working again, until the next day this one also blew!

Since then i have tried 2 other PSU's whch have both blown instantly....no smoke, no flames no smell. Just stopped working. Tested on another pc and can confirm PSU's are dead!

I figure something is shorting them out, so i dragged my mobo and other bits outa the case, checked each peice and found all were working fine out of the case. Could it be something to do with my case shoring them out an making them blow?

I dont want to get another PSU and stick stuff back in my case until i have found the root of the problem.

Any advise would be appreciated.

TIA

Dan

Are you using any type of power strip, ups or protection? Have you tried another outlet. Is the outlet your currently using damaged or outdated in design?

You say it turns on and works outside the case? Are you using standoffs? Is there any odd metal contact between the motherboard and case?

check the power out of your wall first. Then put the computer together out of the case board CPU ram video card mouse keyboard and try it there. That will tell you if its shorting on the case.

Hi Ste, thanks for the quick reply.

I am using a surge protector and the latter 2 PSU's blew after i switched outlet and power cable.

I have inspected the case in great detail and carnt find a loose wire, or anything abnormal. The fact that it just stopped working all of a sudden without re-arranging anything is what has me stumped.

Yes ofc i use standoffs.

I setup the rig outside the case with everything hooked up and it powered up fine.

I am 99% sure its the case causing the problem but im worried if i get another case and hook it up im stuck with the same problem.

The motherboard has been screwed into that case for almost a year so im pretty sure there were no odd metal contact between Mobo and case.

Thankfully all my componnents dont seem to be damaged, i guess replacing the case is the only viable option?

Thanks again for your help

Gonna try another case then, surley if the mobo works outside the case this isnt at fault though right?

I would asume the only thing that would cause the mobo to blow PSU's in the case and not out of it would be metal to metal somewhere?

Fingures crossed a new case solves it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom