Power supply zapped

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolecho

Beta member
Hello,

I installed a MSI K7T266 M/B and an AMD Athlon CPU into a new case. I carefully installed the heatsink using arctic silver 5 per the instructions. When I set the power supply switch to on, the supply sparked inside, didn't even get a chance to hit the switch on the front panel.
I got a replacement power supply, but have been reluctant to try it out.
Is there a way to T/S this carefully without smoking anything else? Is it the M/B, CPU, or was it just a bad power supply?

Thanks

It sounds like a bad PSU, unless you had something very obviously poorly done, like a random wire connecting a -12V wire with a +12V wire or something really bad like that ;)

I wouldn't worry about too much!

What brand name was the P/S ?
Was the input voltage selector set to the right position?
Should be 115VAC for USA.
Make sure mobo is not 'shorted to case'......... verify you have the spacers installed..... or test the mobo out of the case.

Don't know the P/S Mfr offhand, but it's a cheap $25 case. The store replaced the P/S with a new one which they tested. They wouldn't plug it into my board though - they wanted to charge me $25 to plug it in.
The voltage selector was set to 115v. I'll test it out of the case when I get a chance. Thanks.

This is what you should do: plug in one stick of memory, the video card, cpu and heat sinc only. power on the board: watch the keyboard: the keyboard LED's should flash, the cpu fan should come on and you should hear the internal speaker beep once indicating that the preboot startup has been succesful. Always remember this: You get what you pay for. I would immediately order a quality PSU and throw that one in the garbage because that is what it is!!!!!!

Rico......
That is quite true, but most newbies to the computer world don't know a good P/S from a 'cheap' one. Even good companies have 'Lemons"........ I don't think there is any
"Quality Control" anymore.... so nothing is guaranteed.
I bought a nice "Case"........ with the P/S included for $29. It's a great case and the P/S has been working great for two years. I guess I got 'Lucky"..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom