Power Supply Troubleshooting

whoever379

Beta member
Hi,

I have a question. My pc is dead, so I thought that I'd start troubleshooting a few things, starting with the power supply unit using a voltmeter. And I noticed that all of my yellow pins show 11,2V instead of 12V as recommended in every single pin chart out there. Plus, 11,2V happens to be outside of the +/- 5% tolerance range.

However, before I buy a new power supply unit because of 0,8V (or taking the tolerance range into account 0,2V) I thought I better ask you first if this could be really the problem (checking the PSU using a 2nd pc is unfortunately not an option as I do not have 2 pcs...unless you can do that also with a laptop, which, in my humble opinion isn't possible, or is it?)

So, what do you think, is it my PSU, or not?
Any ideas are appreciated.

Last edited:
Have you tried taking the motherboard out and simply started taking things off to see if you can get something to come up?

What is your system specs and PSU?

First thing to do is unplug your drives (optical and HDD), take out all but one stick of RAM, take out the video card, and see if the PC turns on. If it doesn't
Take out the motherboard and put it on the motherboard box, a piece of cardboard, or anti-static bag. Plug the PSU in and try turning it on. If nothing happens then most likely your PSU is dead.

11.2V is low, but would still turn your PC on. If it is turning on, then the PC isn't dead and you need to explain your problem a bit better.

Back
Top Bottom