power supply surging - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 11-10-2010, 11:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default power supply surging

Custom built desktop in a Raidmax case
Motherboard ASUS P5B-E
CPU Intel Core 2 Quad 6600
Video EVGA 8800GT
Power supply at time of failure Antec Trio 650Watt
2 internal SATA hard drives, 1 DVD

I had windows 7 installed, the computer was booting up and down normally, no obvious issues. I left it in "sleep" mode and when I returned (2 or 3 hours later)the power supply was surging ~ once per second (as noticed via the fans and lights) and out to the usb mouse.

After a check over I chose to replace the power supply. The replacement power supply is a Raidmax Volcano 630 Watt. Once in place and powered up the symptoms are the same. There are no POST beeps and the computer does not enter BIOS stage.
I have selectively disconnected power to HDD's, DVD, video, fans ... The power supply
consistently surges.

I noticed a similar thread here - but from what I had read that person had not changed the power supply.

What's next in troubleshooting this problem, what would indicate a motherboard or CPU issue (motherboard vs CPU)?

I appreciate any assistance!

Old 11-10-2010, 12:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: power supply surging

Try taking out the RAM, and run with one stick, if no success, try different slots.

Try resetting BIOS.

If another PSU does the same, I would then blame the board. Check for any blown capacitors on your board. Check the power cable connection on your board. Anything discolored?

Neowin.net Steam Account
Old 11-10-2010, 03:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I will try removing RAM next and update this thread after that.

The area of the motherboard that is viewable appears ok, I will need to remove the power supply to view the entire board.

ASUS has a troubleshooting questionaire to work through, they suggest removing both the RAM and video card. I will work through their steps before I request a warranty replacement for the motherboard.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Raidmax isn't what I would consider a Dependable power supply, but if your Antec was doing the same thing I would suspect the motherboard.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

It's very coincidental that both power supplies have the same problem with the steady flashing.
Neither power supply relaying is tripping out interrupting the board power. That is the factor that I find very odd, if the problem is a ground fault or short the power supply should trip.

I'll update tomorrow after I remove RAM sticks one at a time.
Closed Thread