power supply question, also, general electric

maddangerous

In Runtime
hey all;

ive a pc with a rosewill (550?) watt ps, and i have a room with a 15a breaker. so far everything i have added up pulls 11.58 amps from that breaker, and this power supply pulls 10 amps. which according to a discussion with a friend isnt correct. yet im under the impression that i cant put my rig in this room.

so, my questions:

1) do computer power supplies pull a variable amount of amps depending on the load the components are putting on it?

2) i have an older 680 watt ps, and that pulls 6a. whats the deal here?

a little background, im trying to figure out where to put everything electronic wise in a new apartment i just moved into, and id rather do it right the first time.

mods, feel free to move this, since the main question is power supply related, i felt it should go here instead of OT or anywhere else.

Yet.. It is a 15 amp breaker, and im already pulling 11.58 from the tv, cable modem, router, cable box, xbox 360, and the kinect.

The current being pulled from your PC is only equivalent to the load your parts are pulling. It's not a constant, unless you're at full load. Most rooms (or even combined shared rooms in some homes) are on a single 15 or 20a circuit. You'll be fine as long as you don't try running a vacuum cleaner, space heater, or hair dryer at the same time you have everything else on. I'm sharing a circuit with a 32" TV, 360, HR44 DirecTV DVR, my PC (which takes about 600w full load), and my projector which on eco mode takes about 150w, plus two LCDs which I don't know the wattage off the top of my head. Haven't popped the break yet, and the majority of these components are on 24/7.

BTW, if I'm right a 550w PSU will only take a max of 5a on a 110 circuit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom