power supply problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

advancedgeek

Daemon Poster
hey guys, very recently i have this problem where my computer just shuts off which most probably is a power supply failure since it has done it 2 times already in the same day. I have not added or removed any hardware since last year so I am pretty sure that it is not a issue with not having enough power to run all the stuff i have in my computer. Anyways I also heard a faint buzzing noise while my power cord is plugged in properly and i don't know if that is the problem or not. Also now it would not boot since I removed everything except the 24pin connector that is stuck on my motherboard and i heard a high frequency sound and turned off the power immediately and ended with a fading high frequency noise which i might've fried my mobo or something. I do not know what error it is since my case speaker is broken and i have never heard and POST beeps ever which my current motherboard which is annoying to troubleshoot.

Sounds more like an overheating problem to me. Try opening up the case and blowing an external fan into the case and see if it still turns off. Also, if the option is available, try running a utility that monitors temperatures--specifically processor, video card, and hard drive. The processor is probably the culprit if it is overheating. When you open the case, check for case thermometers. These can go defective and cause the computer to restart.

A telltale sign of overheating is this: if you leave it alone for a long time and it stays on for a while, but this when it turns off and you restart it, it turns off again almost right away.

The whining pitch is certainly some power supply, but not necessarily the computer one. It could be three different issues: a bad bearing on a fan, swelling/leaking capacitor, or coil whine. All three are a good reason to get a new PSU if it's the computer PSU. It may also just be the adapter for your speakers though, so check before ordering a new one.

Dan

Usually a high pitched squealing/whining noise is a capacitor. Sometimes it is a squeaky fan but, that's easy enough to test.

Closely inspect your motherboard for leaking or bulging caps. If you find any, and have knowledge of soldering, they're easily replaceable.

I agree that it sounds like a power supply issue. I definitely wouldn't continue to try and use the PC until you isolate the culprit. Of course the obvious first thing to try is a working PSU.

Also, remove all unessential components that suck power. When my PSU was dying, it would work fine with minimal power usage but with everything connected it couldn't handle it and would shut down or restart a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom