Power Supply Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaarenoc

Baseband Member
My desktop worked fine when I unplugged it to move to a new location. Now the power supply won't come on. I plugged it into my power supply tester and it will come on. Plugged it back into the motherboard and it still won't come on.

Someone told me to jump pin 14 and 15 with a paper clip and the power supply came on then but not when plugged into the mobo.

WinXP Pro

NOTE: My friend told me that while being moved the tower was bumped and fell on it's side.

Doug

Could be a bad mainboard. It's difficult to disgnose because it's essentially a process of elimination. Try removing all PCI components and all but one stick of memory and see if it will POST then. Also check your power switch (should be connected to the mainboard via a twisted pair cable) If removing/reseating everything doesn't fix it, and it's not the switch, then you have a dead mainboard. Inspect for any damage such as blown capacitors, burn marks, etc.

My desktop worked fine when I unplugged it to move to a new location. Now the power supply won't come on. I plugged it into my power supply tester and it will come on. Plugged it back into the motherboard and it still won't come on.

Someone told me to jump pin 14 and 15 with a paper clip and the power supply came on then but not when plugged into the mobo.

WinXP Pro

NOTE: My friend told me that while being moved the tower was bumped and fell on it's side.

Doug
Very easy to test for. Just use a multimeter to test the leads coming out of the power supply.

If you don't get the correct voltage or none at all, replace the power supply.

I would presume based on his post that he wouldn't know what he was looking for, doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom