Power Supply Problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 05:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Power Supply Problem

My desktop worked fine when I unplugged it to move to a new location. Now the power supply won't come on. I plugged it into my power supply tester and it will come on. Plugged it back into the motherboard and it still won't come on.

Someone told me to jump pin 14 and 15 with a paper clip and the power supply came on then but not when plugged into the mobo.

WinXP Pro

NOTE: My friend told me that while being moved the tower was bumped and fell on it's side.

Doug

Old 01-13-2009, 05:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via ICQ to Cunjo Send a message via Yahoo to Cunjo
Default Re: Power Supply Problem

Could be a bad mainboard. It's difficult to disgnose because it's essentially a process of elimination. Try removing all PCI components and all but one stick of memory and see if it will POST then. Also check your power switch (should be connected to the mainboard via a twisted pair cable) If removing/reseating everything doesn't fix it, and it's not the switch, then you have a dead mainboard. Inspect for any damage such as blown capacitors, burn marks, etc.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaarenoc View Post
My desktop worked fine when I unplugged it to move to a new location. Now the power supply won't come on. I plugged it into my power supply tester and it will come on. Plugged it back into the motherboard and it still won't come on.

Someone told me to jump pin 14 and 15 with a paper clip and the power supply came on then but not when plugged into the mobo.

WinXP Pro

NOTE: My friend told me that while being moved the tower was bumped and fell on it's side.

Doug
Very easy to test for. Just use a multimeter to test the leads coming out of the power supply.

If you don't get the correct voltage or none at all, replace the power supply.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via ICQ to Cunjo Send a message via Yahoo to Cunjo

I would presume based on his post that he wouldn't know what he was looking for, doing that.