Power Supply problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbcal22

Solid State Member
I have a personally built computer that I have been having some problems with for quite some time now. The symptoms range from random locking up to not booting properly to losing video to losing internet. It finally got to the point where it was unusable. After talking the problems over with some friends who know more about it than I do, they could not diagnose the problem and suggested just swapping parts until I find the culprit. Well, I have another motherboard, extra RAM, and processor, but I couldn't even get the computer to boot with these new pieces.

While I was swapping parts, I noticed that 3 prongs on the plug from my power supply (Antec True 430) to my motherboard were brown to black in color. The corresponding plugs on my motherboard were brown also, but not as brown. So, I am wondering if that is a good indication that my power supply has gone bad? Also, is it likely that my motherboard is toast also?

My computer is a P4 2.53 gig running Windows XP. Motherboard is Intel D845GEBV2. I built it about 5 years ago. I just don't have the funds for a new one at the moment and would like to save this one if possible. Let me know if you need more specs. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks for the help!

Welcome to Tech-Forums!

Well as I was reading your paragraph, you explained everything that you thought could of possibly went wrong. To me, what seems to be the problem here is that it could be a fried motherboard. It looks like your computer has a 4-pin CPU power connector. What color was it? Was it brown, black? Any change in color because if it's new and nothing went wrong with it, it should be a whitish color. As for the 3 prong, is it near the CPU socket? If so, then that is the HSF (CPU Heat-Sink Fan) 3-pin connector. Have you tried swapping this PSU with your buddies and see if it'll power up? You can also try to paper-clip test. You'll have to ask some other members about the paper-clip test. I haven't had experienced with it just yet.

My computer does indeed have the 4-pin CPU power connector. That connector is fine. There is also not a problem with a 3-pin connector. It's just that 3 of the pins from the 20-pin connector are dark brown. This is where the largest set of wires comes from the power supply to the motherboard. I do not have access to another power supply at this time. Does this sound more like a PSU problem? Thanks for the help!

This motherboard supports a 20 pin power connector, correct? Alright now I can really tell you it's about a 75% chance the PSU is probably dead. Can any of your friends lend you their PSU and see how it goes from there?

Thanks for the reply. Yes, this motherboard does support a 20-pin power connector, 3 of which are dark brown. I will try to get a different PSU to see if that is the problem. Just out of curiosity, what makes you say that you are 75% sure that is the problem? Thanks for the help!

if it does turn out to be the psu you can get a really cheap psu on newegg. so it shouldn't be a big deal because with your setup you don't need anything to hefty.

I don't mean to be Debby Downer but I do have to mention that power supply failures are the most common culprit to the failures of other components. Hopefully you are lucky and it did not damage anything else when it went up, but if you replace the power supply and it still doesn't work, it could be that both the psu and the mobo are down, but always try one at a time.

so what you'll wanna do is borrow a psu from someone, and then if everything still works then you're golden, and just buy a new power supply.

the only antec i'll ever buy again was MISSING three pins.

took me three months of "wtf" to figure it out. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom