power supply problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

luckysixx

Beta member
When I turn on the computer the light on the case is orange instead of green, and it stays this way. Also it seems that nothing else is getting any power. The keyboard and mouse do not light up at all, and the monitor says there is no signal. Also the cd drive will no open if you hit the eject button. Is this a problem with the power supply or something else? thanks

Well the fan on the power supply turns on right away and it seems to be working, but I don't really know. Anyway I switched out the psu with a bigger one from a different computer and it had the same problems. So is it probably the mobo?

You didn't tell us the powersupply fan was working, You said nothing else seams to be getting power. Is the fan on the cpu HS/F spinning? Try resetting the CMOS, then if that doesn't help and if your mobo speaker is hooked up. Remove everything from the board (EX. all ram, video card, pci cards, All IDE and Floppy cables) Then turn the computer on and if you get you beeps the motherboard is toast.

If it does beep ( I doubt it will) replace the removed parts one at a time to see which hardware device is causing the nopost situation.

I don't think there are any other fans besides the psu, but I'll look when I get home later. This is about a 4 yr old Gateway and it's pretty small. Anyway how do you reset the CMOS, I'm not even sure what that means. Also do you mean hooking the mobo up to the external speakers, or does the beep come from the mobo itself? sorry I guess I'm a nub troubleshooting this stuff.

If its a gateway then it will have a speaker hooked to the motherboard. And there is anotherfan for the cpu, or it has a funnel going to a fan mounted on the case.

To reset the cmos you can pull the battery from the motherboard, but there is a couple jumpers you have to short on the motherboard, Check the manual.

If you can't find the location of the jumper to clear the CMOS unplugging it from the AC and pulling the battery for 15 to 20 minutes will accomplish the same this, just not as fast as the jumper. The battery is a silver disk about the size of a quarter, and is located on the motherboard.

Just currious here, but doesn't the orange/amber LED indicate that it is in standby mode?

yes orange is usually standby. I don't have the manual for this because someone gave it to me free since it doesn't work. I guess I'll try unplugging the psu and removing the battery for half an hour or so, plug them back in and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom