Power supply physical explosion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orodreth

Solid State Member
Well, I turned my computer on earlier, left to the store, came back and it was turned off. I asked if anybody had touched it or even gone near it they assured me that they did not. I tried to turn it on again but no go. I looked at the side my case and all of the sudden a red explosion cracked from what seemed to be the space of air between my power supply and my dvd drive, followed by two or three slightly quiter cracking explosion sounds, and bright white sparks. My PC will not turn on now ( obviously ), so a friend and I replaced the power supply with a bigger (550 watt compared to the previos 350) and it still will not turn on.

Sorry. It probobly short circuited all your parts, and they are now ruined. I hope your warranty is still within reach.

this is what happens when you go cheap on the psu , i mean a quality psu will never ever take down any other parts but itself when it fails but cheap ones defently will alot of em do that , the mobo is likely fried and maybe even a few other things.. possibly the hard drive and optical drives maybe even the keyboard , you never know how it goes when using a cheap psu that fails sometimes it will burn just one part sometimes 2 and in some cases every part (but likely not the processor,its kinda bulletproof) ive seen several cases that the psu failed and took down nearly all parts with it , now usally when a pcb board gets fried it smells so better sniff sniff.. see how the hard drive is smelling... , most psus that come with cases are cheap crap this is why me & others always advise ppl that build a new pc and comes asking how it is to buy a quality psu from respected quality brands (well unless they alredy picked up a quality psu) , so you can easily get a cheap psu but on the longrange as you have learned its really aint cheap , i hope you still got warranty

ouch man that really sux. i would test each part separately on another computer and see if any work but i doubt it with that kind of explosion

p0werslave said:
Sorry. It probobly short circuited all your parts, and they are now ruined. I hope your warranty is still within reach.

*Friend = Me*

All as in ALL? Or all as in most? It is mostly a home built PC, so warranty is nonexistant, unless he still has the individual warranties from each part, but many were purchased a while ago. . .

ALSO, the power supply was put in there in a computer shop (/puke). Just further proof that computer shops love to rip people off.

I had the PSU from my case in for a while, and it kept overheating. Put my pc in the shop where they put in a "new" "high wattage" power supply for $100. This is the one that exploded.

I had plugged in:

Sound blaster X-FI
Radeon 9800 Pro
Dvd drive
Cd drive
Harddrive
ethernet card
wireless card
keyboard, mouse

and a brand new M-Audio MIDI keyboard that I JUST got today and was trying to get to work.

Is it possible that every single one of these pieces is now worthless?

Also, before the explosion, my pc was running like utter crap all of the sudden, and my mouse just stopped working and died. This is when I turned my pc off, left the house, came back, and shortly thereafter got some explosions in my face.

as i said in my previous reply , its not a sure thing that other parts except the motherboard got fried , but its very possible in alot of such cases other parts gets fried too could be the optical drives/hard drive/keyboard/video-pci cards , basicly when a pcb board gets fried its real stinky so best way to tell is to smell it .. and maybe also test every part in another pc , but the processor should still be fine ive never heard that a psu fried the processor, mobos have protection circuits to prevent it so it should still be fine , anyway if it will turn out its only the mobo consider yourself lucky , and learn from this expirence never use a cheap psu and may i ask whats the brand/model of that psu that failed? i have a feeling you got ripped off and it aint worth that much $

The bottom of the PSU says " $28.95". So I payed some loser $70 to put a timebomb in my pc, and $30 for the timebomb.

It says...

"SPI SPARKLE POWER INT'L LTD."

The only thing that I could smell was the PSU, and it smelt like post-fired caps, from a cap gun. It still does, actually.

* When I try to smell my mobo, I get a vague waft of old people and ancient cigarette butts. Not sure if that is anything fried, or just a weird combination of pc parts, lots of dust, and my heavy sick/stuffed up nose.

the mobo is fried theres no doubt about it , but if other parts got fried too thats a another issue , might wanna get the opticals/hard drive/video card/pci cards out of the case and smell em closely also test em on another pc , so i was right you really did got ripped off alot of computer stores rip ppl off and try to fool em thats why its best to come prepareed (means asking first on on a good forum like this about hardware and checking various hardware review sites) and read various reviews) you wouldnt believe how many pc stores sell ppl this story that amd processors gets much hotter then intel and that they dont last long just to gain extra $ cuz the intel processors are somewhat more expensive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom