Power Supply Overheating - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-26-2007, 09:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3
Default Power Supply Overheating

I was cleaning out my PC this weekend and installing this old soundblaster card I had from another PC. Well I was working on the PC this weekend when I smelled this burning smell. So I put my hand on the case over by where the power supply was. It was extremely hot. So I turned it off and took it apart again. Yanked out the soundcard and blew out any dust that might have still be around the power supply. The fans all worked fine and were cleaned out.

After I took the sound card out I let the PC sit for 40 minutes running. It wasn't nearly has hot as it was. I mean it was very hot with the card in and not even close to the heat without the card. Is it possible the card was causing it to heat up? I have a 450 wat power supply.
__________________

Kayber is offline  
Old 02-26-2007, 10:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Patron
 
saltynay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: West Coast, Singapore
Posts: 5,149
Default

it could of been short circuiting the power supply but i dont see how that would explain the heat though.
__________________

__________________
saltynay is offline  
Old 02-26-2007, 11:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3
Default

Yes its quite strange and I'm new to this hardware stuff. I just wasnt sure a sound card could overheat a power supply?
Kayber is offline  
Old 02-26-2007, 06:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
I know <html>, do you?
 
SYL\X/3K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: 127.0.0.1
Posts: 1,646
Send a message via AIM to SYL\X/3K Send a message via Yahoo to SYL\X/3K
Default Re: Power Supply Overheating

Quote:
Originally posted by Kayber
Yanked out the soundcard and blew out any dust that might have still be around the power supply. The fans all worked fine and were cleaned out.
u should open up the PSU and get rid of any dust that may be sitting on the capacitors and resistors. but i dont think it ur PSU overheating , go into ur BIOS and check ur motherboard temps and CPU temps.
__________________
P3 Setup- Intel 1.0ghz , 512Mb SDRAM , ATI 9200 128MB, 2x 40GB HD, Asus CUSL-LV

.....:::::POST Troubleshooting Steps.___.My Rig.___.Memory Test:::::.....
SYL\X/3K is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.