Power supply issues??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximuss2072

Baseband Member
hey.. Jst wanted to know..
i have a msi p35 Neo board with 1 gig of DDR 2 800
and a geforce 7900 gs on pci express... the problem is
that my power supply stated that it wants a 500 watt pwer supply where i only have a 350 watt..
how much of a difference in gaming will this make and am i messing up my graphics card by ahving an insufficient pwer supply???:freak:

An insufficient power supply will tend to lead to system instability more than anything else.

If your graphics card is drawing too much power, the power supply will probably fail. The power supply may have a thermal switch that will automatically cut off power when it detects overheating.

The PC will shut down instantly and you will lose any unsaved information. Once the system cools back down, the thermal switch should reset allowing you to restart the computer.
Repeated shutdowns or the lack of a thermal switch will eventually cause the power supply itself to fail.

Depending on how and when it fails will determine exactly how much damage it will cause to your PC. If you're lucky, you will only need to replace the power supply.
It is possible that you'll end up having to replace some nearby components that are currently being subjected to higher than normal temperatures or will be subjected to damage resulting from a catastophic failure (power supply exploding or catching fire).

also the most important thing to look for is how many amps the power supply is putting out on the 12v rail, not how many watts it has

k so basically no matter if the watt is to low its not aking a difference on my gaming experience i just gotta watch out for it blowing up on me?!?!:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom