Power Supply Fried... Motherboard Failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffSpicoli

Beta member
So here is my problem, i have resorted to coming to this random place to ask for an opinion, so i hope i don't sound too stupid...

so about a week ago i turned my computer off, shut it down normally, and was laying down when i heard a *POP* sound, i didnt think much of it until i smelled a burning smell, sort of a hott computer smell or something.. so i take a look, and notice that when i turn on my power supply it made a humming sort of sound, and didn't turn my computer on, after turning trying to turn it on a few times, and the smell coming back shortly after each try, i took it out and opened it. After opening the power supply and turning it on, i would notice it would make the humming noise and even start to smoke from the middle, so i thought i had figured out my problem. I ordered a power supply, and plugged it in, and now nothing is wanting to start. I don't notice anything wrong with the motherboard, and after fooling around with the power switch a little too much .. i ended up with two wires i now have to fool around with to attempt to turn it on, holding it onto the pins, even though it didnt power on before i even messed that up. Now, i have read around about how power supplies could fry motherboards when they messed up, but in most of those cases i believe the computer was on, and mine was fully shutdown, also after messing with the startbutton wires for a little i got it to start spinning the fan on the cpu for a brief second (strangely this time i had the power supply set to 230v instead of 115v.. is that bad? or why it ran for a brief second?), which i guess maybe means that the cpu/motherboard could be ok? I have also shorted the new powersupply to test it, and it ran fine.

is there anything i can do? is my motherboard fried? any help would be appreciated

- Some random guy

More than likely everything attached to the Motherboard when it went out and after smelling these smells of a possibly fry, went out with it. You can try to test each individual part in another pc to sort out the corrupted drive,device, CPU,MB,PSU,..etc.

Hopes this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom