power supply damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonic

Beta member
i recently got a new nvidia 6800gt and made the bonehead mistake of accidently plugging in the power cord backwards and fried it. i feel like a idiot, the lighting was low and i have been putting computers together for awhile so i was in a hurry.

people have said i must have really had to 'force it' in since the molex is keyed, but i really didn't have to push too hard and i don't think i had it in all the way..just enough for it to make a small connection and damage the card..

anyway, my question is do i need to worry about any damage to the power supply or perhaps motherboard because of my little mishap? or is all the damage going to be limited to the video card? if there was damage done to my power supply, would i know there was a problem right away or would i have to wait around for random restarts later down the road?

slide a differnt video card in and see what happens. your computer will either boot normally, or probably do nothing because of cooked connection problems.

No you shouldn't worry about the PSU, hardware don't damage the PSU only the PSU damage the hardware. Try using another molex connector, you don't want to assume it's the videocard just yet. You might have damage one of the molex connector when you try to put it backward. BTW you must had really force that molex connector in for it to fit LOL, they only go in one way. :p

thanks for the replies, i tried a different video card and it works fine. also, i tried the 6800 in a friends computer and with a different molex connector and it still doesn't work, so i'm afraid i did really fry it. Also, do i need to worry about damage to my motherboard? or can i assume it is fine since i am using it now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom