Power supply blew up

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkep

Beta member
Hi all,

My wife's parents were having trouble recently with their PC- it would boot up and then just as XP was almost finished loading the system would reset itself.

After a few minutes of trying to get it to boot a loud BANG came from the PC and lost power.

The PSU was obviously blown judging from the smell and the poor capacitor that fell out of it.

'No worries' said I and went and bought a new PSU to stick in it. After wiring it all up though the PC refuses to power up. So here are my questions:

1. Does this mean the motherboard (ga-6vm7a+) has gone to a better place?
2. What are the chances it has taken other components/drives out too?
3. Why would a PSU blow up like that? I did notice it seemed pretty underpowered (230W)... would this have anything to do with it?

Appreciate any and all help!

the psu taking out other parts is very likely. especially when you hear that dreaded BANG. does it post at all? double check all connections just to be sure. Oh and make sure the switch on the back of the psu is on!!!!(my wife changed hers and badgered me at work ALL day monday cause she thought the new psu was fried :) )

Double checked main connection from PSU to motherboard and yes, the psu switch is on ;) ... even swapped out the power lead just in case.

Dead as a doorknob :(

well then sounds like a dead mobo :(
(Taps playing in the background)
But on the bright side it's a good time for an upgrade :)

Gkep.....
Inferior PSU have little or no 'voltage/current regulation' to protect them from defective 'loads'....... like your computer system. Your system was probably drawing excessive current for your PSU and your PSU died.
I would dis-connect everything except the motherboard, CPU and fans; no drives,Ram, or video cards.
If it still fails... then you know its the mobo or Cpu. I would then take out the Cpu , to further isolate the problem. You may be able to have the Cpu tested at your local computer shop.
Good luck....

* other parts may also be 'toast', but you can check them later.
** power supply link......... may help you.
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/power-supply.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom