Power question - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 02-09-2007, 12:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default Power question

Hello All,

Setting up a E6600 on a Gigabyte motherboard using an Antec truepower trio 550watt PSU. (using onboard video and audio, only 1 DVD drive, 2x512MB Corsair DDR2 Ram) When I powered up the system it booted up, and I went into BIOS and I noticed the CPU temp was rising FAST. It was hooked up but not spinning. I gave it a flick and it started spinning very slowly. Actually, I'm running in an Antec 900 case and all the fans seem to be VERY slow, even if I turn them up. Is this a faulty power supply? I unhooked the 4 pin and 24 pin connector and reconnected them, same thing. This isn't my PC, just throwing it together for a friend but I've never seen anything like this before. I'd say even the DVD rom drives open slower but they are lite-on drives and I think I read some of them were slow.

Any ideas?

Installing windows XP now. I set the shut off temp to 60c just in case...

While installing OS I did open up the side panel and aimed a big fan into the case

Old 02-09-2007, 12:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

wow 60c, you really need to get that fixed. I am gussing that the power supply is just above the bare minimum, you might want to consider getting a better supply.

btw: you might want to checkyour 24 pin connectors.

Old 02-09-2007, 12:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

It's not running at 60c, I just set it at that shut off temp to be safe. Actually, until XP finishes the install I don't know what the temperature is at.

I'd think the 550watt Truepower trio would be plenty to run this system. I even asked about it here in the forums and most people said it would be fine.

What exactly did I need to check on the 24 pin connector?
Closed Thread