Power problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
tried all hey, connected it with just power to the mobo, it has onboard graphics so connected the monitor, no ram in no beeps either...

@paton yes it does have a power on the back, still no difference,

thinking a new motherboard will be budgeted for soon...

quick update, haven't had much time to work on this problem,

Have a slighly older machine at home that i will build up for her for now, I reckon it's her mobo that's history...

will let you know when i do get it sorted...

The reason I said do it with out the ram, is because most motherboards will still go into POST, and when it sees no RAM, it throws an error code, and if it don't you usually narrow it down to just the board/cpu, it's common where I used to work, as all motherboards check for RAM, and if there is no RAM, they throw an error code, even my MSI K7 motherboard had LED diagnostics that would show no ram installed.

Yes, which is a part of the POST, as it detects no ram, you get a steady long, repeated beep, that is pretty much standard on all motherboards.

Here is a small scenario to help enforce my reasoning.

Me: Oh noes, my computer isn't booting, nor posting, I guess I am gonna have to start pulling things out.
*Pulls out all hard ware, lays motherboard on cardboard*
Me: I wonder, what could it be, could it be the RAM, the GPU, a faulty cable, not sure, guess I will narrow it down to the most basic components needed for POST.
*Looks in manual, finds that the motherboard can determine and still post while there is no RAM, but requires atleast the CPU.*
Me: I guess I will pull everything out, but leave the processor in the board, if I get the error code for bad, or no ram, I know the board and processor are both ok.
*Fires board up*
Me: YAY I GOT BEEP CODES
*Shuts board down, plugs in RAM, then fires her back up*
Me: Well crap, no beep codes, guess the RAM is faulty, guess I better grab a spare stick to put in to see if she will continue.
*shuts it back down, removes possible bad ram, and installs known good compatable stick*
Me: W00T, it's throwing POST codes once again!!!

:p

That actually has happened a few times in shop, and since my first experience with this, most decent, or even half decent motherboards all behave the same when going through that, though, the beep codes can be different, it's when your getting them, that you know things are working, it's when your NOT getting them, that things are bad, and ram can be bad enough it causes POST to get hung up, and not cause it to throw codes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom