power problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiders96

Beta member
Hi,

I am having a serious problem with my computer. I built the computer myself about 10 months ago, and everything has been fine until this week. Now, suddenly, the computer has turned itself off and will not restart. When I turn it on, it acts like it wants to start for about 2 or 3 seconds then it immediately turns itself off. It happens too quickly for anything to appear on the screen at all. I have completely replaced the power supply and that did not solve the problem. Also, all of the fans (CPU, video card, case, and power unit) are all working properly...they all turn on as expected for the brief 2-3 seconds when the computer tries to start. The computer is not making any unusual noises at all. Also, I tried to start the computer with the bootable XP operating system CD to see if it was a HD boot problem, but that didn't help at all either. I also feel very confident that it is not a virus problem...I keep a very tight hold on the contents of my HD and keep Norton updated and running constantly. I suspect it is a hardware problem of some sort, but I'm completely stumped at this point. Any ideas or suggestions?

Here are the components:

-CPU = AMD X2 4800
-Motherboard = ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
-Video Card = PNY Nvidia 7800 GT
-Sound Card = Soundblaster Pro
-Main HD = Western Digital 200 GB
-Secondary HD = Western Digital 250 GB
-Power Supply = Ultra 600W
-RAM = 2 GB PC133
-Sony DVD ROM
-Sony DVD DL R/W

Hmm...could be a number of things bro.

First, unplug EVERYTHING from the motherboard except for the necessary drives. Leave the hard drive, PSU, and video card (if possible, use onboard video and unplug the video card). If you still can't boot up after that, then lets move to the next step.

Inspect your motherboard, check for any loose screws hanging around in your case. If the motherboard is shorted out by any loose screws, it will prevent itself from powering up. If you have an extra heat sink fan, try replacing your current one with that.

Finally, try swapping out the hard drive, since I noticed you didn't try that yet. If all else fails, try reseating your processor. Make sure you apply thermal paste where needed. If all of this fails and you still can't boot up, looks like your motherboard may be out. Let me know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom