Power Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Docskyhawk

Beta member
I have a comp that has been running strong for a couple of years and not has decided to stop working. While running a random game the screen went blank. I rebooted it but it wouldn't boot anymore. I had had some issues with the power supply in the past causing it to not boot up so I checked it again. At this point it wouldn't even power up. I figured the power supply ate it so I ordered a 450 watt one from newegg. When it arrived it didn't change anything. After playing around some the original power supply will power up ONLY when I have just the 24 pin connector connected and not the 4 pin JATXPWR2 plugged in however it still wont boot. Does this sound like a bad motherboard and/or CPU?

Also I tried the new power supply on another build and it doesn't seem to work on that one either. I even tried jumping the power wire and grnd but nothing. Any ideas on that one? Sending it back for a replacement costs almost as much as the ps.

Does the original power supply work fine in the other build? If so I would guess the motherboard. Unhook all the expansion cards and unnecessary drives and see if it boots. I had a bad 8800GTS causing similar issues in the past.

I took everything out and tried it but it does the same thing. Seems to revolve around the 4 pin power connector. It will power up but not boot if I disconnect it.

Also I tried the new power supply on another build and it doesn't seem to work on that one either. I even tried jumping the power wire and grnd but nothing. Any ideas on that one? Sending it back for a replacement costs almost as much as the ps.

Did you try jumping the old psu? Also did you check your motherboard for burn marks, leaking or burned capicitors?

Hmmm there are two Caps that look burnt. I'll replace and see what happens. They are near the 4 pin power connector too! I didn't even think to check those...

I replaced the bad caps but it didn't solve it. It seems there is another short in that area but I can't locate it. I guess I will chalk it up to an old mb. I'll give it a proper funeral......

How about the defective new power supply...any ideas why it wont power up? I've tried two mb and jumping the power wire and ground but nothing.

Hello there. I have a MoBo/PSU problem as well. My specs are as follows:

300W PSU
socket 478 board
Celeron A 2.66 GHz
3 IDE HDDs (Maxtor x1, Seagate x2)
128 MB ATI 9250 PCI graphics card
LG burner

The reason all of this sounds, and *is* old is because I live in Cuba, and I can't really afford the 775 technology. Not yet, at least. So, long story short, I get home from the faculty, go over to the PC, stick my finger into the back-up's switch, and... *BANG!* That's what I heard. Thinking "What the...!?" and "Oh, sh..." I try to turn the PC on, but obviously to no avail. So seeing how the back-up was still on, and the PC itself was off at the moment, I chalk it up to the PSU, and take it to a friend of mine, who has saved me in previous occasions, for a check up. Three days later (yesterday, 24th) he tells me it's OK. But when I get home and mount it back, still nothing! I tried dismounting everything from the 'board, and I do mean *everything*, but the CPU, even tried exchanging said CPU for my previous 2.4GHz, and still nothing. Everything seems fine, both visually (no burns, leaks, swollen filters or otherwise suspicious-looking elements) and olfatory (meaning nothing smells burned, or anything). Any ideas/suggestions/anything? I'm about to give up. Help, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom