Power overload? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 03-10-2008, 06:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Power overload?

My son was messing with his computer and something blow and now it wonít start! Itís only a cheapy and I donít really care but he says his got files he wants to retrieve. The computer is an IBM netvista and what happened is he switched that red switch on the power supply next to the power lead from 230 to 115.

Question, is it just a case of getting another power supply cause there pretty cheap and they donít seem that hard to install or has he fried something more substantial and not worth fixing?
Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus
Default Re: Power overload?

I'm guessing that you're from the UK?...because 230 is what the UK uses, and 115 (I thought it was 110) is what the US uses. And that is probably what caused something to blow, preventing the computer from starting up.

It could be both cases. Usually the power supply would take itself out, without harming other components, but theres always that chance. And don't go too cheap on the power supply. A cheap power supply can blow just as likely.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Do not Stare at my Avatar
Send a message via MSN to Ste

All you need to do is attach the harddrive to another computer and copy over any important information.
That is, if you don't wish to troubleshoot the current computer.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

You can get a pretty decent power supply with a tower new on EBay for 40 bucks, so I canít see myself not find a good second hand one for the 10-20 mark if I root around a bit. But that not the problem. I really donít want to hassle chasing parts and fitting them only to find another glitch because simular units again on EBay are selling for as little as 60 bucks! Iím in AU and it might have been 110, unfortunately Iím not getting any younger and the light was poor when I looked at it!
I guess I might drag my sorry butt down to the second hand store thatís not too far from me and see what I can score; Thanks for your input its much appreciated!
Closed Thread