Power overload?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quake_City

Baseband Member
My son was messing with his computer and something blow and now it won't start! It's only a cheapy and I don't really care but he says his got files he wants to retrieve. The computer is an IBM netvista and what happened is he switched that red switch on the power supply next to the power lead from 230 to 115.

Question, is it just a case of getting another power supply cause there pretty cheap and they don't seem that hard to install or has he fried something more substantial and not worth fixing?
Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

I'm guessing that you're from the UK?...because 230 is what the UK uses, and 115 (I thought it was 110) is what the US uses. And that is probably what caused something to blow, preventing the computer from starting up.

It could be both cases. Usually the power supply would take itself out, without harming other components, but theres always that chance. And don't go too cheap on the power supply. A cheap power supply can blow just as likely.

All you need to do is attach the harddrive to another computer and copy over any important information.
That is, if you don't wish to troubleshoot the current computer.

You can get a pretty decent power supply with a tower new on EBay for 40 bucks, so I can't see myself not find a good second hand one for the 10-20 mark if I root around a bit. But that not the problem. I really don't want to hassle chasing parts and fitting them only to find another glitch because simular units again on EBay are selling for as little as 60 bucks! I'm in AU and it might have been 110, unfortunately I'm not getting any younger and the light was poor when I looked at it!
I guess I might drag my sorry butt down to the second hand store that's not too far from me and see what I can score; Thanks for your input its much appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom