Power outage / surge of some sort, computer broken :( - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 08-19-2011, 07:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Power outage / surge of some sort, computer broken :(

So we have this big power box thing in my front yard, and I woke up to find a huge crane in the street and some guys working on it. It turns out the power company was replacing that big box. I have no idea what the box is or does but I can take a picture of it. Something they did caused some problems in my house. All the clocks were blinking which usually means the power cut out Ė at least even for a split second. The computer downstairs is left on/sleeping 24/7 and thatís the one Iím using right now, itís working fine. However the one in my room was turned off (but still plugged into the surge protector and the outlet) and it doesnít work. I tried turning it on and the rear fan spins really slowly, and the LEDs in front are on but very dull and blinking instead of steady and super bright like normal. At least some of the major components of the computer (or their fans) are not turning on because what used to be a jet-loud PC is now super quiet. The monitor says no signal. There were no problems when I turned it off last night. I only power down the computer, I do not shut off the power supply switch in back. I have done that now and unplugged it to avoid further damage but Iím wondering what my next step should be (besides contacting the power company so they can pay for the damage theyíve doneÖ). What kind of damage can I expect here and what sort of troubleshooting can I do? The only other power supply I have to test it with is the one in this working computer, and I donít want to cause even more damage. The computer I am using now is this one, Iím not even sure if the power supply is strong enough for my computer.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Re: Power outage / surge of some sort, computer broken :(

I doubt the power company will help you out. If you, and/or your neighbors had multiple devices fail at the same time, maybe. But this just sounds like a coincidence to me. But, it would not hurt to call the power company and see what they say - but I would not wait any longer to make the call.

If you have not tried the computer since you last unplugged it, I might try it one more time. PSUs are supposed to shut down if they sense a significant fault on the line. They are supposed to reset automatically once the fault is removed, but don't always and unplugging might - if very lucky - reset it.

If not lucky, I see no other option but to test the power supply - easily done by swapping in a known good one.
Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
MS MVP Windows Expert-IT Pro, Engineering 2007 - 2014

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

Closed Thread