Power Outage makes iMac lose memory. help!

Beta member
I've had my iMac for a while now, and have had next to no problems. But one day, we get quite a bit of snow and our lights flicker and every now and then our power goes out sometimes. then, I start up my iMac, and some of my files are missing! I look in the Trash and it's nowhere to be found! And Chrome acts as if I have never opened it! So, that happens and now a month later, It happens agian! A big storm happens and our power cuts of, and when it's over, I start up my computer, and now about the same thing happens! Why does this happen and is there a way to get it back? thanks!

You should invest in a UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply) to plug your electronics into.

I've had my iMac for a while now, and have had next to no problems. But one day, we get quite a bit of snow and our lights flicker and every now and then our power goes out sometimes. then, I start up my iMac, and some of my files are missing! I look in the Trash and it's nowhere to be found! And Chrome acts as if I have never opened it! So, that happens and now a month later, It happens agian! A big storm happens and our power cuts of, and when it's over, I start up my computer, and now about the same thing happens! Why does this happen and is there a way to get it back? thanks!

If your really that head strong about recovering your files it may work it may not and its risky.
If you don't wanna risk messing with your imac hard drive don't continue reading this post.

1,You will need a windows vista/7 desktop computer or laptop.
2. You will need to learn how to connect your hard drive inside a tower with ide jumpers or raids. "depends on whatcha got now"
3. You will need this setup and running on windows desktop only:
Recuva - Standard

Release notes
v1.45.858 (14 Feb 2013)
- Added support for 3TB external drives.
- Added support for hard disks with 4 KB sectors.
- Improved secure overwrite performance.
- Improved NTFS deep scan recovery reliability.
- Added VHD drive image creation for system drives (Pro Version).
- Fixed a minor bug with opening VHD images in Windows.
- Minor GUI improvements.
View full version history...
4.You will need to read this site fully and decide if its worth getting your files back if anything is on the partition tables and windows wants to play nice and let you access it.
How can I read a Mac formatted external hard drive in Windows?

With that said its a risky move especially if your not tech-savvy know how.
If you have someone who is and you can trust to pay let them do it.
Otherwise like a old friend of mine named Osiris said once to me:
I love me to format some hard drives!!

Best of luck on your iMac issues.

Back
Top Bottom