Power+Fans+Lights but NO DISPLAY - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 10-12-2011, 09:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Benevolent Cake Despot
Exclamation Power+Fans+Lights but NO DISPLAY

I'm running an old Q6600, 8800GTS and P35-DS3L build.

I've reset/replaced the CMOS battery and I've swapped video cards (HD 6850); same problem.

I tested the psu on a much older build (P4/TNT2, lol) and it runs. Don't know if that qualifies as enough of a test.

The remaining culprits are the mobo, cpu and memory. If I simply remove the memory, shouldn't I still get a display? I've tried and I don't get a display, meaning it's most likely the cpu or mobo. The mobo has no clear signs of any problems (blown capacitors, damage, etc)

Either way, where do I go on from here? Anything I can do before moving on to swapping parts to a test computer? (I don't have one with an LGA775 socket + PCI-E and would likely have to go through a friend's which I want to avoid)

|Intel Q6600 | 2GB Crucial Ballistix Tracers | XFX 8800GTS 512 | Gigabyte P35-DS3L | Antec 900 | Antec Neo 500 HE |
Old 10-13-2011, 08:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru
Default Re: Power+Fans+Lights but NO DISPLAY

If you don't have all 4 key components in place then no, you wont get a display. Try starting with just 1 stick of RAM. Make sure it is in the first yellow slot and nice and snug. Also, reseat your heatsink, CPU, and GPU to make sure everything is placed properly. Finally, reseat your video card and go from there. Make sure to try a single stick of RAM in each slot. If you have 2 sticks, after trying all slots move on to the next stick.

"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire Mechwarrior Online = Thunderson PSN = PP_Mguire

Need Descent and Mechwarrior buddies!
If I helped you, give a thanks! ↓
Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Oldie but a goodie

I recently had a problem similar to yours and it was just a matter of buying a new stick. I agree with the above ^^^ post. Good luck
Old 10-13-2011, 09:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

I suggest you try another monitor before doing stuff like reseating CPUs (which risks ESD destruction and requires a new and proper application of TIM - thermal interface material).
Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
MS MVP Windows Expert-IT Pro, Engineering 2007 - 2014

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

Closed Thread