Power Failure?? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 05:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to Stevo808
Exclamation Power Failure??

Hi everyone, i had a kinda old built computer in my closet some time and i decided to bring it back out for my g/f so that she could use it. I added some new RAM about 1GIG SPeed= 3200 but the MOBO only takes 2700, it still ran fine for a couple of days until one day i turned on the computer and now the whole thing would not even power up.

So i decided it must be the PSU since it wont start up, i changed the PSU with a new ACTEC 500watt and still it wont even turn on. The MOBO lights are on but everytime i turn it on it just wont power up. I took out the RAM and Video card and then power it up but it still wont budge. Heres one tip tho, when i turn it on the CPU Heatsink turns couple times and then the computer dies down.

SPECS
----------
MOBO - asus p4sgx-mx
CPU - Intel Celeron 2.7GHZ
RAM - 1GIG PC3200
PSU - ACTEC 500WATT
Video Card - ATI Radeon X1000PRO

This is a odd situation for me, any help would be good. Thanks!

Stevo808

Old 10-20-2007, 08:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Default Re: Power Failure??

so it seems like its getting power but then shutting off. its most likely a psu issue. make sure everything is plugged in, like the psu's 12 + 4 pin connector to the mobo.

A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

It seems so, but everything is plugged in correctly. Thats why this is weird, i cant see why its not powering up

Old 10-20-2007, 05:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

have you tried putting in a stick of 2700 ram?
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

No, i tried to turn on the computer without any RAM inside the slots and it still wont boot. I don't think putting a 2700 inside would boot it up.

Would anyone know whats causing this problem or had anything similar to this? Any help would be nice =)

Stevo808

Old 10-22-2007, 03:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

So i am going to guess theres no one that could solve this? :freak:

Old 10-22-2007, 05:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

do all the lights stay on? even after the fan dies down. try putting in a stick of 2700 ram in and see if that gets you anywhere.

Closed Thread