Power comes for half a second. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 09-15-2009, 04:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Power comes for half a second.

wow.. i got my OS cd ready and all and now the computer doesn't turn on at all again like before. Yesterday i build the computer and it didn't turn on. I tried a lot of things and then i took out the battery and put it back in and it worked. Today i was going to install an OS when it didn't work again. I tried taking out the battery again but now it powers up for half a second and turns off.

I realized that my GFX has 2 PCI-E power slots so i put it one more power cord into that thinking that it would solve the problem, it didn't. Every now and then when i try to power the lights and fans work for half second.

also my PSU came with 4 power things. the 20 pin one, an 8 pin one, a 4 pin one, and a PCI-E power thing. I plugged the 20 and 8 into the mobo and the pci-e into the GFX but there's no slot for my 4 pin power cord on the mobo.

BTW, yesterday there was a spark and a sound when it turned on for the first time but i think that was because i forgot to plug in the power to my GFX?

thanks in advance..

Old 09-15-2009, 04:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Oldie but a goodie
Default Re: Power comes for half a second.

Sounds like something may have fried. Make sure everything is all connected nice and snug, sometimes those power connectors (Molexes, etc.) are plugged all the way in. Just check them all to be sure, then try powering it up, maybe it will work for you then. But that spark has me concerned ....

Old 09-15-2009, 04:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Sounds like the power supply died. And if your video card has 2 power connectors you need to plug in 2 power cables to it.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

how about the motherboard being screwed onto the case? i screwed it on well but like 2 screws didn't really get screwed in. They were loose.. might that have been a problem?

i just bought the PSU, i don't think there's anything wrong with it. It's an Antec 550 Basiq

tomorrow i'm going to do a couple of things, if it doesn't work, i will bring it to an expert.

-Securely tighten the Mobo to the case with bigger screws for the screws that don't get screwed in all the way.
-Make sure everything is plugged in to the right places.

also, the inside of the case is pretty messy. The cables are somewhat intertwined.

last thing---i have an amd cpu and a clip heatsink. the heatsink can be clipped on two ways right? or am i clipping it the wrong way? because there are two identical clips on the mobo so the heatsink can be put in facing front or facing back?
Old 09-16-2009, 12:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Oldie but a goodie

Yes, the mobo screws being loose are a problem, and can allow the board to short out. If its the kind of clip I'm thinking of, you tilt the heatsink and then angle it down and it clips into place on one side (usually facing to the middle of the motherboard, not sure if that is always true though).
Old 09-16-2009, 09:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

Definitely secure the mobo down. I had a recent problem with a mobo sliding slightly and grounding on a standoff. Also make sure the standoffs are all positioned over a screw hole, even if they are not being used to secure the case.

The heatsink fan can be secured either way. Typically you want it mounted so it blows towards the back of the case. Some boards are built wierd though and the cpu fan mounts either facing up or down.

As far as the power cords, I think the psu you have has the 24 pin power connecter split into a 20 and a 4. Since you said you have an 8 pin cpu power cord.

As far as the cables being all messy in the case, that shouldn't cause a problem unless when securing one it pulled another loose. When you have your system finished, you might want to look into hiding some of those cables out of the way so you get better air flow from front to back.

Xion XON-180 Case
OCZ ModXStream 600w 50A on +12V
ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 AM3+ mobo
AMD FX-4170 Zambezi 4.2GHz [stock heatsink]
2 x 4Gb DDR3 1866 G.Skill Sniper RAM
Corsair GT 60Gb SATA3 SSD
Evga GTX 465 GPU
Windows 7 Premium
Old 09-16-2009, 11:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

i would like to say that the problem is resolved. i thank all of you.

the problem was so stupid. the PSU came with the cords that you plug into the case fans right.. so it's one cord that goes around the case and has 3 slots for 3 fans and it has this weird 4th slot that i plugged into somewhere in the mobo.

i'm like "is this supposed to be here?", i take it out, and it works. i installed the OS i downloaded the drivers and everything seems good.

Closed Thread