Potential overheating problem please help.

narpuppy

Baseband Member
Hi, I have a question about my gfx card temperatures. I just upgraded my HP p6803w so it will be better for gaming (BF:BC2, Source games, other games like that...) I had a Radeon HD 4870 laying around from my old computer, which broke about 2 years ago and thats when I got the HP, so I ordered a 620w Seasonic PSU and replaced the 250w default one and put in my fgx card. It is running great too, running Black Mesa max settings at 1920x1080 and getting 100+ fps usually, max settings on BF:BC2 at the same resolution no lag. The thing I'm worried about is my gfx card temperatures. It is at 80 C usually but my fan speed is only at 23% while its at 80. My question is, is 80 C too hot, and also is 23% too low speed and if so how I could fix that?

Any help appreciated.

So what video card are you using? In ATI video cards, you can going into the settings and make the fan go faster. I don't think NVidia cards let you do that but I could be wrong.

Your card is only that warm because the fan ramp profile is set kinda high. My old 4870s were that way too. Unless you start seeing artifacts (blips of random crap or color on your screen) then I wouldn't worry about it.

If you really want to make sure it doesn't overheat you can download a program free called MSI Afterburner and set the fan manually to 50 or 60% when you game.

80C isn't too warm to cause any alarm, but your fan should start ramping up by then too.

Actually, after 85C ish, the fan ramps up to keep it round 80C.

If you don't like it d/l evga precision and set the fan speed manually. I find 55% is a perfect balance between noise and cool.

Hi, I have a question about my gfx card temperatures. I just upgraded my HP p6803w so it will be better for gaming (BF:BC2, Source games, other games like that...) I had a Radeon HD 4870 laying around from my old computer, which broke about 2 years ago1 ?

Any help appreciated.

Depending on that model of 4870, turn off your computer, take it out and wipe off any dirt debris.
Take a mini philllips head screw driver and unmount the fan and heatsink from the card.
Check the chip for any leftover grease and apply some new paste or grease.
Artic silver, tuniq or any other leading paste will do fine. Reattach the heatsink and fan and let it settle for about 10 minutes or so.
Make sure everything is secure and put it back inside your computer and turn it on .
Check your bios and your vga temp should be much more cooler.
A warning about MSI overclock tool, becarefull and know what your doing when settting up a custom profile.

If I were you, I would let it test your vga and let it find a safe setting and game moderately.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom