Post Failure. Comp wont start

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwaggMan

Beta member
hey
my cousine gave me a computer that will not start up. when turned on, it beeps 3 times (about 2 seconds long). the monitor does not come one at all, nothing starts up aftrer the beeps. from what ive looked up, it looks like it is a 64 kb ram failure. is it is, is there any way i can fix it. if not what else could it be.

thanks
SwaggMan

Take the RAM out and start it, see if it makes the same beeps. If not, put the RAM back in and take the video card out. If if doesn't make the same beep, you'll have to find out your BIOS maker and search for their beep codes. Or, search the motherboard manual if it has one.

It's most likely RAM, VGA, or CPU failure.

Intel (El Paso) Motherboard - 1.5-GHz
64MB NVIDIA gforce 4 mx
not much else i can find. it doesnt say, that i can see at least, what the bios is.

i have tryed it without anything on the board, and then just added things one at a time. nothing i do will make it go past the 3 beeps

Short Beep One beep is good! Everything is ok, that is if you see things on the screen. If you don't see anything, check your monitor and video card first. Is everything connected? If they seem fine, your motherboard has some bad chips on it. First reset the SIMM's and reboot. If it does the same thing, one of the memory chips on the motherboard are bad, and you most likely need to get another motherboard since these chips are soldered on.
2 Short Beeps Your computer has memory problems. First check video. If video is working, you'll see an error message. If not, you have a parity error in your first 64K of memory. First check your SIMM's. Reseat them and reboot. If this doesn't do it, the memory chips may be bad. You can try switching the first and second banks memory chips. First banks are the memory banks that your CPU finds its first 64K of base memory in. You'll need to consult your manual to see which bank is first. If all your memory tests good, you probably need to buy another motherboard.
3 Short Beeps Basically the same thing as 2 beeps. Follow that diagnosis above.
4 Short Beeps Basically the same thing as 2 beeps. Follow that diagnosis above. It could also be a bad timer
5 Short Beeps Your motherboard is complaining. Try reseating the memory and rebooting. If that doesn't help, you should consider another motherboard. You could probably get away with just replacing the CPU, but that's not too cost-effective. Its just time to upgrade!
6 Short Beeps The chip on your motherboard that controls your keyboard (A20 gate) isn't working. First try another keyboard. If it doesn't help, reseat the chip that controls the keyboard, if it isn't soldered in. If it still beeps, replace the chip if possible. Replace the motherboard if it is soldered in.
7 Short Beeps Your CPU broke overnight. Its no good. Either replace the CPU, or buy another motherboard.
8 Short Beeps Your video card isn't working. Make sure it is seated well in the bus. If it still beeps, either the whole card is bad or the memory on it is. Best bet is to install another video card.
9 Short Beeps Your BIOS is bad. Reseat or Replace the BIOS.
10 Short Beeps Your problem lies deep inside the CMOS. All chips associated with the CMOS will likely have to be replaced. Your best bet is to get a new motherboard.
11 Short Beeps Your problem is in the Cache Memory chips on the motherboard. Reseat or Replace these chips.
1 Long, 3 Short Beeps You've probably just added memory to the motherboard since this is a conventional or extended memory failure. Generally this is caused by a memory chip that is not seated properly. Reseat the memory chips.
1 Long, 8 Short Beeps Display / retrace test failed. Reseat the video card. RAM!!!!! Buy new RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom