possibly a power supply problem? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 02:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default possibly a power supply problem?

i tried turning on my pc today and none of the devices powered on and then i remember i recently installed a 2nd hdd to my pc and unplugged the power cable. And what do you know, my pc boots up, until about 5-10 minutes after a full boot up it shuts down. Is this a possible probleming occuring with the power supply? I dont know much about them so i can really tell you guys much, i only know its 630W. if you need anymore info ill be glad to reply.

thanks.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Electical Engineer

Send a message via AIM to BongWizard Send a message via Yahoo to BongWizard
Default Re: possibly a power supply problem?

what specs are you running? and what brand of PSU have you got?

it sound like you might not have enough amps to power all of your devices... and so it fails when your CPU and GPU start going... we'll need some more info to help you out more

NZXT Lexa BlackLine w/ Red LEDs | Corsair TX-750 | Gigabyte EP45-DS3P | Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 3.6GHz
2x 2GB Kingston HyperX PC2-6400 @ 960MHz (5-4-4-13) | 3x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB HDD in RAID5
2x HIS Radeon HD 4850 @ 761/1129 in CrossFireX w/ Thermaltake DuOrbs | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro

Got a problem?? Click Here before posting!

Old 10-27-2008, 09:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashcabaja64 View Post
i tried turning on my pc today and none of the devices powered on and then i remember i recently installed a 2nd hdd to my pc and unplugged the power cable. And what do you know, my pc boots up, until about 5-10 minutes after a full boot up it shuts down. Is this a possible probleming occuring with the power supply? I dont know much about them so i can really tell you guys much, i only know its 630W. if you need anymore info ill be glad to reply.

thanks.
I'm sure unless you have an extremely hard-core computer, 600+ watts is PLENTY of power. Most people REALLY overdue their power supplies w/o needing to.

If you've unplugged the new hard drive from the 'loop' and it is shutting down (assuming it worked fine before) IMO the PS is not the problem.

For the random shutting off of the computer after 5-10 minutes: Look into something that you may have bumped, like a heatsink or blocking a fan. Sounds like a heat issue.

For it not booting up w/ the new hard drive plugged in: Is it not evening going past the POST screen? Make sure you've configured your master/slave setting correctly. If it is SATA make sure the drive w/ the OS is on channel 0.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

1x AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Windsor 2.8GHz Socket AM2 dual core
1x EVGA Geforce 8800 GTX
4x Corsair XMS2 DDR2 4GB Total
1x ASUS M2N32 Sli-deluxe motherboard
1x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
1x Western Digital Raptor 150GB 10000 RPM SATA 1.5Gb/s Hard Drive
1x DVD RW Drive

Also connected to the PS is my water pump and 3 120mm fans cooling the reservoir.

Im running on a custom built water cooling system.so i doubt overheating is the problem, and i check my temps often.

My Power Supply Specs

LexLuethar, my Hdd's are SATA and they do past the post, it is when its trying to get the the startup screen does the freeze occurs. And how do i set my drive to channle 0, Im not familiar with that method.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

With sata there are parts on the MB or raid controller to plug the hard drives into (obviously you know this because you've have the drive working before). With Sata you just need to ensure that your drive is connected into the proper channel. If your computer worked fine before, just make sure the drive is in the same channel as before and add the new HD to another free channel.

I didn't mean to say you had improper cooling, i was just saying with adding a new drive you may have knocked something around cause it to overheat.

Have you tried booting in safe mode? Have you tried a repair installation of XP? Kind of sounds as if your OS has become corrupt, which a repair install of XP should fix.

If you are getting past the POST screen I HIGHLY doubt your PS is the issue. You won't get past the post screen at that point if the PS had died.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

ok you may be right, its not a power supply problem. So i did the winxp fix and fixed the boot log, or watever its called, and did a successful boot. But now it doesnt show that windows boot manager where it tells you to choose which OS system to boot. How can i fix that problem?
Old 10-27-2008, 03:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I didn't know this was a dual boot system...

Where you dual booting linux and XP?
Old 10-27-2008, 07:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

sorry, my fault for not mentioning it sooner. Im double booting vista and xp. my primary hdd has xp installed and logical with vista. i remember while i was fixing the boot file, i applied the boot file as master. i made a boo-boo, anyway to work around this problem.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

So which system boots? XP or Vista?

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 10-28-2008, 02:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

the xp one boots, if i try to let my 2nd hdd (vista) all it shows is a black screen. it doesnt get the the welcome screen.

i only need help getting back the windows boot manager screen where i choose which system to boot. while fixing my problem i added a master boot record and i think thats what deleted that boot screen. anybody know?

Closed Thread