possible PSU power failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony666

Solid State Member
After disconnecting the pc from the mains supply, either by unplugging or by pressing the off switch at the back of the PSU, a problem occurs; once all is back on and plugged in the pc will not boot.
The motherboard light is on but no power to anything else, after approx. 1 hour or so the pc will suddenly turn itself on, from here on the pc behaves perfectly. It's stable under full load, has all the right voltages (according to asus PCprobe) and turns on and off without a hitch. The problem only occurs once the power is fully off.
Sadly replacing the PSU with a spare just to test is out of the question, i would have to purchase a new one so obviously i want to be sure of the problem before I shell out.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

You have to be careful with PSU issues, because if it's dying or spiking it could very well corrupt everything in your system as a whole. It could be underpowered, if the mobo light comes on and is getting power, but nothing else can the PSU could be losing power slowly, or just be acting up which you have to be careful of because it may act the "wrong way" one day and blow something up =/

Honestly the only way to try is by testing out another PSU. Also make sure your connections are seated properly on the mobo for the 24pin and 4pin connectors fro mthe power supply, double check the cables, make sure nothing looks exposed and perhaps corroded by any chance. Checking the obvious physical issues is usually overlooked and could sometimes solve the problem. Maybe try a different outlet too for your PC, could be something to do outside the machine itself. Always a possibility, but to know for sure whether it's the PSU or not I would try another cheap PSU in its place for a few days and see what happens. First though, check al lthose connections and maybe replug everything in to its corresponding socket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom