possible psu issue - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 02:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to cpuelite Send a message via Yahoo to cpuelite
Default possible psu issue

for the past week my computer has been shutting down randomly. I noticed the other day that whenever someone starts the microwave or sometimes when the fridge is opened is when it happens. could this be because the psu is bad or that its something with the power going to the psu?

Old 05-17-2010, 02:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: possible psu issue

Are you doing anything when it shuts down? Or does it shut down even when you're away?

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 05-17-2010, 02:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

it will shut down when im away or on it. just lastnight when someone started the microwave it rebooted. while it was booting up I walked away for a min and heard it reboot again. it happens at different times , sometimes while im browsing the web or running a program and sometimes while its booting
Old 05-17-2010, 02:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

It could possibly be overheating. Download realtemp, run it, then take a screenshot of your temps and post it up.
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 05-17-2010, 02:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

i forgot to mention I'm running linux not windows
Old 05-17-2010, 03:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Hmm, haven't used linux in a while, but I think there was a version of coretemp released that'd work for you.
edit: google suggests lm-sensors
Old 05-17-2010, 03:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to SirCyber

my experience in this is "dirty" power, i.e. your breaker or fuse box is not handling the amperage provided to either your computer or your fridge/microwave adequately. something that may solve the issue is a good power strip or a UPS, or Uninterruptable Power Supply
Newegg.com - TRIPP LITE TLP810SAT 10 Feet 8 Outlets 3570 joules Protect It! Surge Suppressor
Newegg.com - CyberPower Intelligent LCD Series GreenPower UPS CP1000AVRLCD 1000VA 600 Watt 5 x 5-15R Battery/Surge Protected 4 x 5-15R Surge Protected Outlets UPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak213
Knowledge is power. Power is nothing if it is not shared.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Techie

yesterday I noticed that when everyone was using the microwave my computer was in a loop booting up but when they were done it booted right up
Old 05-17-2010, 03:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to SirCyber

again I point to my previous post, that it sounds like you may be getting voltage or amperage spikes. try getting a surge protector, or a free option, try plugging in your computer elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak213
Knowledge is power. Power is nothing if it is not shared.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCyber View Post
my experience in this is "dirty" power, i.e. your breaker or fuse box is not handling the amperage provided to either your computer or your fridge/microwave adequately. something that may solve the issue is a good power strip or a UPS, or Uninterruptable Power Supply
Newegg.com - TRIPP LITE TLP810SAT 10 Feet 8 Outlets 3570 joules Protect It! Surge Suppressor
Newegg.com - CyberPower Intelligent LCD Series GreenPower UPS CP1000AVRLCD 1000VA 600 Watt 5 x 5-15R Battery/Surge Protected
4 x 5-15R Surge Protected Outlets UPS
^^That would be my guess as well. Opening the fridge door is a classic example of something that can cause a power surge.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Closed Thread