Possible MoBo Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwoolle

Beta member
I have a desktop pc running windows 7 with a biostar p4m900 motherboard. I left the desktop power supply unplugged from AC power for about a month or so while I was at home with my parents recovering from back surgery. When I returned my computer was displaying symptoms(loss of real time clock functionality, CMOS checksum error) that my CMOS battery was dead or dying along with other strange behavior-most notably random shutdowns without blue screening.

I read in a forum that a motherboard disconnected from AC power for a prolonged period can lead to draining or weakening of the CMOS battery so I promptly replaced the battery hoping that all would soon be well. After I finished this my system continued acting erratically(random shutdowns, blue screens, random app crashes, and a general decrease in system performance). I began to believe that my memory or windows installation was suspect but after trying three different sticks of RAM(all the same speed-DDR2 PC5300) and reinstalling windows 7 the severity of the problems has lessened but still persist.

Basically now I'm just looking for advice on which software or hardware components would be most likely the most worthwhile to further examine or troubleshoot. I find it highly unlikely that all three of the RAM sticks and the CMOS just coincidentally died at the same time. Right now I'm suspecting that I'm experiencing a motherboard, power supply, or perhaps virus problem. If anyone could give me some tips or advice on troubleshooting this problem I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Dan

Try doing a clean boot. Maybe you have a bad driver or something that is causing you some issues. Do you have any of the minidumps from the BSoD's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom