Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Wife's computer.

BIOSTAR TA785 A2+ AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G
Unlocked tricore CPU
4GB DDR2
8800GTS

After some recent power outages her graphics settings dropped the second monitor, set resolution pretty low. This morning I tried to reset the graphics only to be told that there was no Nvidia GPU present. I pulled up Device Manager and saw that it had been disabled, Code 43. I had it to update the driver and then rebooted.

The comp came up fine with both screens. I went to double-check the resolution but when I right-clicked the desktop the colors went blocky and then it went black. The computer was still running but no desktop.

Shut it down via the power button, rebooted. No desktop, nothing on the monitors.

Opened it up, cleaned and reseated the GFX card. Still nothing onscreen.

Cleared CMOS, tried onboard, nothing.

Cleared CMOS, tried a PCI video card, nothing.

My thought is that the mobo fried itself. Other opinions?

Could be something else preventing it from posting. I once had a pc that had a nearby lightning strike, would not post until the dial up modem was pulled out....it got fried and stopped the mother board from starting up
Disconnect everything from the board and pull all unnecessary pci/e cards to see if it can post

I mat give that a shot later or tomorrow. I'm not super worried about it as it will let me push for some newer hardware for her. As long as the GFX card id OK I should be able to replace CPU, mobo, and RAM for ~$130 or so. Looking at either an AM1 quad or a LGA1150 Celly.

It could have been the unlocked CPU that went out.

Possibly. The only other I have to test it with would be my own CPU. If it were the CPU it would basically be the same as mobo as far as replacement goes.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using TechForums

Back
Top Bottom