Possible Hyperthreading Issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glowball

Beta member
I have an Asus K8N-E Deluxe mobo with an AMD Sempron 3100+ processor and 1GB of RAM. I periodically get a blue screen in Windows XP (up to date) with the BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER error.

I upgraded my BIOS yesterday and today I got the same blue screen.

I've done some research about this error and I keep finding advice to disable hyperthreading to get rid of the error. I can't figure out how to do this with my mobo.

First of all, is disabling hyperthreading the best route? Even if it's slower with it disabled I don't care as long as the blue screens go away.

Second of all, is it even possible to disable HT with my system?

Any other advice? Thanks!

AMD is Hyper-Transport
INTEL is Hyperthreading

Second,
I've seen the BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER error problem before. None of the fixes have had anything to do with disabling Hyper-Transport.

I do believe you need to take out your ASUS Drivers Disk and reinstall USB drivers.

Try: Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware >Device Manager
Look in the USB Device Menu... Check and see if anything on that list has a yellow " ! " next to it.

Well that would explain why I couldn't find any mention of hyperthreading in my AMD manual -- thanks for clearing that up for me.

I looked in Device Manager and all is well, no yellow anywhere.

I'm downloading all of the latest non-beta stuff for my mobo and I'll reinstall it all. I'll let you know...

Hyperthreading is used on certain Pentium 4 chips. it basically tricks the computer into thinking there are 2 CPU's so it will send 2 instructions at a time.

Hypertransport is used on AMD K8 CPU's (Athlon 64's, socket 754 Semprons and Opterons)
it refers to the way the CPU communicates with RAM. instead of communicating to RAM through a memory controller on the motherboard, they have their own memory controller onboard, and communication between CPU and memory controller runs at the CPU's speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom