Possible hardware lag

Status
Not open for further replies.

DracoRedux

Baseband Member
My computer was having issues just loading the OS. I brought it to my "mechanic" (see what I did there?) who confirmed my suspicion that the HDD was failing. I got a new HDD and loaded windows xp on it. The system does fine for browsing, now, but it lags terribly when I try to play an online game. The game is Silkroad Online. The minimum system requirements can be found here: http://sro.mmosite.com/gameinfo/system_req.shtml

My computer is approximately 3-4 years old. Since it is having problems just on games, I am thinking the graphics card is dying. However, the tech said everything was running smoothly. The system specs are as follows:

Mobo: Asus M2N Rev. 1
Processor: AMD Athlon x2 6000+
RAM: 2GB ( forgot specifics)
GPU: PNY NVidia 8500GT

As you can see, it surpasses the recommended system reqs. Any ideas?

Draco

If it's lagging when playing an online game then it could be a problem with your internet connection.

If it's lagging when playing an online game then it could be a problem with your internet connection.

That is unlikely since my other computer never has any problems. Its a much more powerful machine, though.

The big concern is that if I have a faulty gpu, I am out of luck. The M2N uses the original PCI-E and I don't think any cards are still around that use it.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

-Draco

You can double check by going into the start menu.
Run... > msconfig > startup tab

I think Windows likes ninja adding bloatware.

You can double check by going into the start menu.
Run... > msconfig > startup tab

I think Windows likes ninja adding bloatware.

Yes, Roark, I did that and looked up several lists of essential services for windows xp. I will do some further troubleshooting when I get home from work. I am going to check for tears in my Ethernet cord. It is a 50ft. that stretches from my office to my living room. I guess the next step after that would be checking my old computer's port against my new one that I know works? I'll post again when I have those results. Please post any other useful tips in the interim. ^^

-Draco

the newer versions of PCI-e are backwards compatible. Take the GPU out of your other machine and pop it in this guy, see if it fixes the problem. If it does then there ya go.

Also does it lag just when you're playing games, or is it any type of gpu/cpu intensive task that causes it to lag?

the newer versions of PCI-e are backwards compatible. Take the GPU out of your other machine and pop it in this guy, see if it fixes the problem. If it does then there ya go.

Also does it lag just when you're playing games, or is it any type of gpu/cpu intensive task that causes it to lag?

I contacted Asus and they told me it is not backwards compatible. The technician said a pci-e 2.0 card is not compatible with my motherboard. Is he wrong? For instance, would a GTX 260 work with my mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom