Possible harddrive failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mack

In Runtime
Lately my system has been weird. I just installed the 64 bit edition of Windows XP.

I had my computer for almost a year, so I decided it finally time to format and install 64 bit edition of XP.

Before I formatted, if I would reboot my computer it would be fine up until after the Windows XP loading screen, after that the screen blinks, and the desktop appears. But for some reason the screen blinked, turned black, and remained black. I had to reboot several times to fix it.

Last night I install xp x64, works great-- last time I rebooted I had the same issue as above.

Now, when I first installed XP x64 I noticed my system VERY, VERY, fast. I installed all the updates for XP X64.

I was extracting Visual Studio 2005, and I noticed my hard drive abnormally loud. I'm talking you can hear it in the other room. It's a Western Digital HDD, and has never been this loud.

I was installing Visual Studio 2005, while it was installing the hard drive was just screaming. At the same time, I was doing some work in Photoshop CS2. Photoshop CS2 slowed down to the point that I was about to kill myself! Using the select tool caused a "Please Wait" progress bar to show!! Now that Visual Studio is installed, my computer is super fast.

Is it possible that my 250GB Western Digital hard drive is beginning to fail? I would like to solve this ASAP because I'm getting payed $500 for a programming project with a 14 day limit and can't afford to lose it!!

Thank you,
Thomas Mack

Windows XP 64 bit is real buggy. Windows Vista 64 bit is the best way to go. I've read a lot in forums on this topic.

sPlAtOiD said:
Windows XP 64 bit is real buggy. Windows Vista 64 bit is the best way to go. I've read a lot in forums on this topic.

I am not ready for Vista. I have it on my laptop, and I really don't like it much. I will at least wait a year before installing it on my desktop.

It's running fine-- this only happens when my hard drive is being used. Besides that, Windows X64 is fine.

One thing I noticed ANYTHING that has to do with the hard drive that is or can be intense (installing an application), my entire computer slows down. Loading programs, or anything is super fast.

Can it be a failing HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom