a possible culprit, not related to video - so a new post

Status
Not open for further replies.

regeisle

In Runtime
Sorry, I'm really not trying to tie up the board tonight. In doing some troubleshooting for my previous post "...no video" i've learned that it may be an issue with the ide connectors. With both the dvd and the hd are hooked up to power and ide on mobo, neither of them seem to work - the dvd drive won't open, and the hd isn't spinning. however, when i unplug the ide cables from the mobo and leave the devices plugged into psu, i can open the drive and the hd spins. Not sure if this woud keep anything from displaying on the screen (the original problem) but is it sounding like the mobo is the culprit here and maybe it's fried? I've tried resetting the cmos by removing the battery and also setting the mobo bios jumpers to every possible setting and no luck.

how would i determine that, aside from a new psu? it's powering up - fans are spinning, and the hd and dvd are working when not connected to the mobo. Any way to diagnose it further?

regeisle said:
Sorry, I'm really not trying to tie up the board tonight. In doing some troubleshooting for my previous post "...no video" i've learned that it may be an issue with the ide connectors. With both the dvd and the hd are hooked up to power and ide on mobo, neither of them seem to work - the dvd drive won't open, and the hd isn't spinning. however, when i unplug the ide cables from the mobo and leave the devices plugged into psu, i can open the drive and the hd spins. Not sure if this woud keep anything from displaying on the screen (the original problem) but is it sounding like the mobo is the culprit here and maybe it's fried? I've tried resetting the cmos by removing the battery and also setting the mobo bios jumpers to every possible setting and no luck.

yeah I have seen it before. the mobo is probably fried. it gets power , but the controller on the board doesnt pass signals thru to the components.

test this. pull out something like memory , cpu or video card and power it up. do you get any kind of post beep warning? if not then it is your mobo definately. if you dont get a beep when one of those three components isnt in then it means that the mobo isnt going thru post test at all

Re: Re: a possible culprit, not related to video - so a new post

networkgeek said:
yeah I have seen it before. the mobo is probably fried. it gets power , but the controller on the board doesnt pass signals thru to the components.

test this. pull out something like memory , cpu or video card and power it up. do you get any kind of post beep warning? if not then it is your mobo definately. if you dont get a beep when one of those three components isnt in then it means that the mobo isnt going thru post test at all

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom