Popping Noises, Keyboard and Mouse USB ports no longer work. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 12-14-2011, 10:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Techie
Send a message via AIM to phucng_10 Send a message via Yahoo to phucng_10
Default Popping Noises, Keyboard and Mouse USB ports no longer work.

As the title states, what happened was that my brother was doing his regular internet surfing and playing some games and all of a sudden, the keyboard no longer works as well as the mouse. I have tried connecting the keyboard via USB for my laptop and it doesn't seem to work, nor does the mouse. The mouse is probably just a month old so I'm not sure if this issue lies within the USB ports, or the keyboard and mouse.

Then again, my rig is pretty outdated since I built it back in 2006 and so it's probably time for an upgrade.

I would just like to know what could have possibly caused the problem.

Thanks in advance!

|phucng_10's WM|
Old 12-15-2011, 01:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Grinch
Default Re: Popping Noises, Keyboard and Mouse USB ports no longer work.

Sounds like a voltage regulator on your motherboard had gone wonky, sent too puch power to your USB devices and fried them. I wouldn't risk plugging any other devices into that machine for now, take the side panel off, look for leaking/bad caps, also sniff around for strange smells. Motherboard is most likely dieing.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Default Re: Popping Noises, Keyboard and Mouse USB ports no longer work.

Popping noises??? That's usually always bad. It sounds like your power supply died and it may have taken your mobo and other components with it.

What is the Make, Model and Wattage of your power supply?
Closed Thread