POP!! ARRRRRGGGG!!!! - Gaming rig dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethereal_Dragon

Fully Optimized
Post this because I am frustrated right now. It has been a long time since I have had a failure of any kind that I can think of. I believe the last one was when my Shuttle SN25P (or something like that) quit on me when I was trying to overclock.

I went to turn on my desk top PC this morning to work on some wedding stuff before work, and when I hit the power button, I was greeted with a loud zap or poping noise, along with a blue/green flash from inside the case. I saw the flash through the top case fan on my Antec900 case, and it LOOKED like it was the rear case fan, but I highly doubt it, since i had no power at all when trying to start it after that. Thinking the Silverstone 700w PSU might have taken a dump on me (bought March '09), but it's more likely that a capacitor blew up given the area I saw the flash in. The motherboard is in my sig, 3 year warrenty expires in November, so I am kind of hoping that is what blew, and that I can get a new one.

Hypothetically, lets say that the mobo blew up on me, Do you think that Gigabyte would send me another LGA 775, or would it be more likely that they will send me an newer LGA 1156. I am kind of hoping that they have no LGA775 onhand, and offer a good midrange 1156 for it. I don't WANT to upgrade if I don't have to, but if i am 'forced', I won't mind, hahaha.

UGH. Tonights project, complete teardown of the PC.

ARRRRRRRRRG!!!

On the plus side, all that wedding stuff was backed up on my NAS, so I can work on it from my laptop. :-D

A pop is almost always a power supply. The last time one popped on me it also killed all my drives.

Didn't smell anything obvious. I have an OLLLLLLD Compaq destop that I added an extra hard drive an 40mm fans to, and overpowered the PSU, and THAT burnt up, so I know what it smells like, but had none of that.

As far as looking, I just did a quick once-over. It was about 15 minutes before I was leaving for work, and had I started taking it apart, I wouldn't be at work right now, and I would rather use that vacation day for the honeymoon, hahaha.

It COULD be the PSU, but whatever popped, and flashed for SURE was not the PSU. In the Antec900, the PSU is all the way at the bottom of the case, and the big TRUE, and the XFX 4870 block the view to it from the top down.

I hardly use that computer anymore, since I have the house taken apart for re-modeling (office is packed up and in the garage), and I have been using my 27" dell monitor as my bedroom TV, PS3 display, and destop display. I wonder if perhaps I dropped something that could have gone through the fan vent holes and shorted out something on the motherboard. I know I droped a TON of computer screw the other day, but that was while the computer was on, and none of them were close to the fan, just next to the computer, so that couldn't have been it. Oh well. Mayhaps there will be an i7 upgrade in the works, if it is even worth it upgrading from a Q9550, dunno.

I'll post more when I get home tonight....

Could room tempature have played a factor of something going bad ?
I'm sorry your pc went out judging by specs you had a real good setup.
The best thing you can is diagnose it tonight go to bed and ask gigabyte to send you a rma and a new board.

Speaking of which, since I have a 500gb drive and a spare 320gb let me know if you'll need it by the beginning of october.
I can ship one out to you priority mail for less 6.00 bucks.
It's seems like everybody has had computer problems, I remember mine went and I almost lost it again.
Luckily Mind over slaver driver helped me out a little, sorry M&M just a little joke for you. ;)

Well, I found out what the problem was. I feel like a total moron. When my little tackle box thing with all my many dozens and dozens of screws, jumpers, and mobo mounting standoffs opened up, 1 FREAKING fan mounting screw, the big fat short stubby ones fell into the top fan vent, and it managed to find its way down to the PSU, and fell inside of it, and WHAMMO.

SO... While it is TECHNICALLY under warrenty still for another year and a half, it's clearly NOT something that the warrenty would cover. I am thinking that I am just going to bite the bullet, and buy a new PSU. My stupid mistake, and I don't feel like dealing with possibly having a refurb unit. Small price to pay I suppose, could have been the Mobo, RAM, or GPU I suppose.

Thanks Mike for the offer of the HDD's, but I am more than good. I just got 2 WD20EARS drives, (2 TB drive), 1 for the PC, and 2 for my NAME box. So, now I also have 6 extra 500 Gig Seagate drives. I am going to possibly build my own Raid 5 or 6 NAS box, providing the funds are available.

Well, I found out what the problem was. I feel like a total moron. When my little tackle box thing with all my many dozens and dozens of screws, jumpers, and mobo mounting standoffs opened up, 1 FREAKING fan mounting screw, the big fat short stubby ones fell into the top fan vent, and it managed to find its way down to the PSU, and fell inside of it, and WHAMMO.

SO... While it is TECHNICALLY under warrenty still for another year and a half, it's clearly NOT something that the warrenty would cover. I am thinking that I am just going to bite the bullet, and buy a new PSU. My stupid mistake, and I don't feel like dealing with possibly having a refurb unit. Small price to pay I suppose, could have been the Mobo, RAM, or GPU I suppose.

Thanks Mike for the offer of the HDD's, but I am more than good. I just got 2 WD20EARS drives, (2 TB drive), 1 for the PC, and 2 for my NAME box. So, now I also have 6 extra 500 Gig Seagate drives. I am going to possibly build my own Raid 5 or 6 NAS box, providing the funds are available.

Haha, Never heard of that one before! I'd RMA the PSU, maybe shake it about a bit to get the screw out, Get a replacement and buy yourself a new one then keep it as a spare. :).

Yeah, screw came right out, and it is pretty dis-colored, so I know that was the issue. I am going to do research on a new one today, and then hopefully order it soon, then I will look into RMA of this old one to sell / trade the replacement unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom