Is plugging in power with switch already set on "ON" safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

quiq

Baseband Member
I just got an external HD today and it has a power adapter that plugs into the wall (looks like a miniature one they use on laptops). I didnt realize the power switch on the back was already set to ON. Well I plugged it in for the first time and the HD booted up.

My question is, does it make any difference if the switch was set on OFF instead of ON when I plugged it in? It wouldn't surge the HD or do anything damaging the way I did it right? It works now, but still curious if it matters

I think I heard a little spark from the plug when I plugged it into the wall

It shouldnt hurt anything if you plug it in properly, but if you twitch a little while you are plugging it in and it wiggles some, there is a possibility of it powering up for a split second, then shutting down, then powering back up which is not good for the hdd.

yea, my psu was goin out (it had a good run...tho it is still cursing my pc with bad luck) and the 12v rail was runnin just under 11, now my hdd got like 2wice as loud, and i can hear it seek now, used to be silent.

shouldnt hurt it, aslong as you dont let it power half up, and pull it and put it back in...that will cause problems if you do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom