Plug and Play Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanramdeo

Solid State Member
Hi, i jus bought a refurbished IBM laptop and i installed winXP SP2, not yet activated. The problems im having is that when i plug a usb device in, so far, my flash drive and digital camera, i get the usual systray popup "found new hardware" etc. and the final "your hardware is installed and ready for use" but nothing happens after that...no autoplay and i cant see the device in My Computer. Photo programs dont detect the camera either. If anyone has any idea whats causing this or if you need more info please let me know.
thx in advance

Reinstall the USB drivers. Look for the model of the HP in System Properties, go to Google and look for the USB drivers.

Check if you can see your devices in device manager.
If it's a disk device, check what you see in computer management->disk management utility.

its usually listed under the name USB MASS STORAGE DEVICE in device manager. these are the other devices listed under USB controllers when the usb flash drive is not plugged in:
-INTEL(R) 82801CA/CAM USB Universal Host Controller-2482
-INTEL(R) 82801CA/CAM USB Universal Host Controller-2484
-INTEL(R) 82801CA/CAM USB Universal Host Controller-2487
-USB Root Hub
-USB Root Hub
-USB Root Hub

I tried a few different flash drives, with the same results. I also get a pop-up saying the device can perform faster if connected to Hi-speed USB 2.0 port.

tried reinstalling the USB drivers, but that didn't work...
also, i plugged in my friend's external hard drive and that worked fine. still the same with the flash drive and digital camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom