PLEASE HELP!!! Usb not recognized.

Might be the best (simplest) option.

I would have aready done this. Would have bought an external hard drive big enough to do it in one go, but I realized my computer wouldnt recognize the hard drive. The biggest thing I have is a 16gb sd card that works. but I have 110gb of stuff I want to keep. So Ill have to transfer all my stuff to my dads computer while Im reinstalling. 110gb of stuff to transfer divided by 16gb of sd space is 7 times I have to transfer stuff. Itll be a pain but this usb issue is a pain.

Is there anything I should keep in mind while doing this? Ive never done this before. Been wanting to though.

I would have aready done this. Would have bought an external hard drive big enough to do it in one go, but I realized my computer wouldnt recognize the hard drive. The biggest thing I have is a 16gb sd card that works. but I have 110gb of stuff I want to keep. So Ill have to transfer all my stuff to my dads computer while Im reinstalling. 110gb of stuff to transfer divided by 16gb of sd space is 7 times I have to transfer stuff. Itll be a pain but this usb issue is a pain.

Is there anything I should keep in mind while doing this? Ive never done this before. Been wanting to though.

You could just make a Linux LiveCD (such as Ubuntu) and boot off of that, then copy over the data that way. Then you'd for sure see if it was a hardware issue or just an issue with Windows.

I dont know what you just said.. Here is what I was panning. Windows easy transfer. It said it needed 108 gb. So I went out to find an sd card big enough but I couldnt. So I was looking at what all it was wanting to transfer (attached picture below) and im wondering If i need all of this stuff. Or can I just grab all my music, games, videos, documents, and everything I can remember and forget the rest? Im going to transfer via 16gb sd card to my dads computer as an external HD for the time being. is this a bad idea?

Attachments

• Untitleddd.jpg
    Untitleddd.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 5
Just download the ISO for Ubuntu: Get Ubuntu | Download | Ubuntu

Burn that to a DVD, and boot off of it, and choose the LiveCD selection in the menu. Plug in your external HDD, and open up the file browser on the LiveCD environment, and then you can copy/paste files from your internal drive where all your files are stored, to the external drive.

Your external drive should work since the USB drivers will be loading off of the LiveCD. The only way they won't work, is if you have an actual hardware issue with your USB ports.

At this point Im so sick of buying stuff for this computer, I dont have any DVDs to write to. And I am not going to buy some. I see what you are saying and how that might be easier. But I am wondering If my method will work or if its a bad idea? I can re install all the programs I have, I just dont want to lose my pics,videos,documents, stuff I cant get back. Ive got a file of all that stuff and its only about 40gb, so it would be more like 3 transfers.

Back
Top Bottom