please help revive system - rookie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

juking

Beta member
Hi ,
Please help with my system.
It keeps shutting down after a few minutes of use.
Dose not log me out or anything.Just plain blanks out like as if I pulled the plug.
Sometimes , I get the error message "OverClocking Failed ! run setup again. "

I did not make any changes or updates to the BIOS. It has been working fine a few weeks ago.
Its an assembled system that I bought and its about 1.5 years old. It stopped once
in 8 or 9 months.The guy said he replaced the power supply( was under warranty.)

Now I cant even find the company and moreover I'd like to see if I get to know the system better and try to repair it myself. I opened it up and saw the power supply was very dirty and cleand it with a compressed air can. Still have the same problem.(430 watts) .

Its almost like its get a bit hot and then the power supply to it is cut. The supply stays a bit londer if I dont see videos and stuff.

I 've added some details of the system. I'd really appreciate if anyone can direct me appropriately or share their experiance.

Thanks a bunch .
S.

Operating System
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)

Processor
3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
16 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Main Circuit Board
Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5S800-VM Rev 1.xx
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 1011.003 06/27/2005

Drives
163.92 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
92.66 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1693S [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

Maxtor 6B160P0 [Hard drive] (163.93 GB) -- drive 0, rev YAR41BW0, SMART Status: Healthy

Memory Modules
1024 Megabytes Installed Memory
Slot 'DIMM0' has 512 MB (serial number SerNum0)
Slot 'DIMM1' has 512 MB

Local Drive Volumes
c: (NTFS on drive 0) 41.94 GB 10.65 GB free
e: (NTFS on drive 0) 62.91 GB 58.01 GB free
f: (NTFS on drive 0) 59.07 GB 24.00 GB free

Controllers
Standard floppy disk controller
Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]
SiS PCI IDE Controller

Display
NVIDIA GeForce 6200 [Display adapter]
NRC LM-962 [Monitor] (19.1"vis, s/n 7545TI000698, November 2005)

Bus Adapters
SiS 180 RAID Controller
SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller (3x)
SiS PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller

Multimedia
Realtek AC'97 Audio
Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device

Communications
Smart Link 56K Voice Modem

Other Devices
1394 Net Adapter
Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
USB, Keyboard.
OverClocking Failed ! run setup again.

Sounds like an overheating issue. Get a program that monitors your CPU temps. If it is over 55C then you'll need to look at youre heatsink/fan on your CPU. If the temps are fine, then see if you can ninja a PSU from another system and troubleshoot it.

I'll try that.

Thanks for the advice and time.
I'll try that.
Is there some other way to test the PSU ?

Nikkon said:
Sounds like an overheating issue. Get a program that monitors your CPU temps. If it is over 55C then you'll need to look at youre heatsink/fan on your CPU. If the temps are fine, then see if you can ninja a PSU from another system and troubleshoot it.

There are ways to test the Power supply. You can use a voltage meter. Also there are pretty cheap testers for Power supplies for sale. Although I tend to think heat also. After it shuts down reboot and go into your BIOS and look under PC health to see how hot it is.

temp at 65C/28C ..how bad is it.

sorry about the delay.
tried the system with the fan and a open cover, it seems to be stable then.

I didn't log in, just kept it at the bios to read the temprature.

It crashed the first time and when i went in to check the temp it was 65C.

So ,It started with a CPU temp of 65 /MB temp 28. and kept on rising, so when it went to 85C- CPU/29C-MB, I put the fan close to it. The Temp came back to 70-CPU/28 - MB and stayed there as long as the fan was at it.
I stopped the fan and it started climbing up to 95 -CPU/ 38 -MB , at that point the font color changed RED from Blue in the display and crashed immediatly.

all three fans where working (1 - power supply on the back of the case, 1 - fan on the bottom of the PS , one on the CPU). didnt feel a lot on air movement inside the system but the fan on the PS blowing air outside
is moving a lot of air.

Also all the other components, the keyboard,mouse and speake get power supply even after the system crashes.

The small green LED in the MB , which says BIOSWP1 is also on as long as I dont unplug the system.

whats your call ? as always any input is greatly appreciated.

theresa your problem right there ,, a pentium 4 3ghz should be on average 45-50 ish.. you really dont wat higher than 60 to be on the safe side,, get a better cpu cooler or try cleaning adn re applying thermal paste to your current one

Ok . Thanks for the suggestion.
I'll get a new CPU cooler. Any suggestions based on my MB ?

I have no clue about the thermal paste ?

dose the CPU cooler just pop out from the MB ?

thanks for the suggestion.

I poped out the fan and cleaned the heat sink yesterday, and the system works ok now.
although its going to 43C at idle and the fan is at 1928 RPM.

May be I need to replace my HS unit anyway ?
Thanks a bunch for the advice guys, In case I gonna get a HS unit I'll probably get the one recomended by IrishNinjaX.

43 idles is pretty decent,, play a game for a few hours and check the temp,, anything under 60 at load is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom