Please Help With Error: "Memory Could Not Be Read"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gho5t

Baseband Member
Hello, I have searched everywhere for this error to see if it has been fixed but I can't seem to find out what I really need to do. So I though I would come here and get the help I need. Well, I get this error whenever I start these steam games: "Half Life 2" "Counter Strike: Source" "Garrys Mod." Probably other games but I don't have anymore other than the ones that don't have the error. So when I start one of the games it would say for Garry's Mod: "Garry's Mod: hl2.exe - Application error" "The instruction "0x13df7b7d" referenced memory at "0x0ff8b018". The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program."

System:
HP Pavillion 733n

Specs:
Graphics Card: NVIDIA Geforce4 MX 4000
Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2400+
Ram: 1279MB

Other:
Service Pack 3
Integrated Audio

Any other information, I would be gladly to support you with.
Thank you,
Gho5t

Get Memtest86+, burn to CD, boot off CD, run at least 2 passes. Any error, your RAM stick is bad. You want to run each stick by itself.

Your motherboard and/or RAM are probably going out. I have a very similar system (734n) with the same AM35 motherboard and it started giving me memory-related BSOD's. Ran MemTest86+ and it had a ton of errors but the RAM I had tested fine on another PC. I am pretty sure the motherboard is the problem, but after running the board out of its case for a while and putting everything back together it seemed to be working fine again for several months until the issues started coming back. I took it apart again, left it off for a while, then put it together and it worked fine again. It is a very intermittent problem and I'm still running the PC as of today, issues started happening like 2 years ago. I run it 24/7 (server at home). It's a very confusing machine.

Sorry I replied so late, thanks for your reply. Do you know any permanent answers to solve this error for the machine? Or should I just do what you do and take it apart then put it back together? Or could it be that the games updated and are too high for my pc?

Did you ever run the memory test to see what your results are? Are all your system drivers updated? Have you patched your game to the latest version? Have you ran chkdsk /r?

This error isn't ALWAYS memory related, I have noticed, with Blizzard products, it's a common error associated with issues reading the CD it self.

No, I never ran memtest, but I don't think it would be the RAM because all my other games work like: War Craft, Counter Strike, Half Life, Half Life: Opposing Force, Need For Speed Underground 2, Counter Strike: Condition Zero, and Torchlight. I am guessing my system drivers are updated, what would have to be updated exactly? I don't know if I did patch it? But it is updated. And chkdsk, I don't think I ran it? Thanks for helping out.

Please run everything we suggested. So we are sure it is not the problem. Memtest, drivers, latest patch, chkdsk.

Computer troubleshooting is often a group of problems, not just one.

We can only give you advice and then you have to help yourself. Running Memtest will eliminate the memory as a possibility or confirm it as the problem. And considering your error message is specifying the memory can't be read why would you not test it 1st.

The way I see it, you asked for our advice and if your not going to help us help you then my time is better spent helping someone that will.

Sorry, I ran chkdsk and nothing seemed to happen it just closed itself, and I can't get memtest at the moment sorry about that, but I will. And I don't know how to update my drivers like all of them, do you know a program to detect my drivers for me that need to be updated or any other way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom