Please help, computer won't turn on - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 06:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default Please help, computer won't turn on

We were just in the middle of a big storm and finally the electricity is back. I tried starting up my computer and it didn't even boot up. My monitor - which is plugged into the same outlet set - is turning on fine. Before power went out, my dad disconnected my computer from the wall and nothing was plugged in.
I assume it got surged somehow, which would suck so bad since I have no money and it was a $1,000 computer. How do I check and how do I see what works and what doesn't? I've tested the computer in multiple outlets and I'm sure it's the computer itself. I've heard about rebooting the PSU or something but I have no idea how to do so. I built it myself so I can easily get in the computer.
Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: Please help, computer won't turn on

ok, if the computer was disconnected from the wall there is no way possible to blow the psu. i would check that the switch on the psu wasn't turned off by your father when he unplugged it. next i would try resetting CMOS. i'll be back in a second with a link to a guide on doing so.

edit: here you go How to Reset Your CMOS

Old 01-06-2008, 08:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Okay I'll check out the cmos link now, thank you.
as for possible-frying, we were in a 'brown-out' where we had half power, and my computer was still plugged in. but still, my computer wasn't on for any of it.
oh and also, i really don't care if i lose anything on the computer, i just want it to work
Old 01-06-2008, 08:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

that doesn't sound good. brownouts are never good for electronics and modern PC power supplies (ATX) are always on, though they only provide standby voltage. however there is a good bet that it may be just the psu. i'm not going to bother pricing american parts for you but in Australia you can easily get a generic power supply for about $40 new and a very good name brand PSU for about $130. it's a heck of a lot better than a new pc.
Closed Thread