Please Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibelous

Baseband Member
ok so I was working on a customer's pc for over 4 hours today and cant figure this out.

Originally he came to me with a problem that his PC randomly blue screens and resets before you can catch what the blue screen is.

After some troubleshooting I have decided that his motherboard died in a power surge, So I proceeded to replace the Motherboard and Proccessor. Asus mobo (cant really think of the model number at the moment) and a P4 3.0 I replaced his hard drive with an 80G Seagate IDE harddrive( replaced hard drive because old one was giving off a really loud humm.)I replaced his 512 stick of 2700 with a 128mb one for testing purposes and hooked up a different CD drive to install windows just in case the old one went in the power surge as well.

Now when I load up the PC off the WinXP Pro Sp2 CD, it goes through the format and when it starts to copy files it just freezes at random instances, sometimes at 9%,17%,91% etc... I have tried several different hard drives, and several different cd drives as well as instalation cds, and still same result.... now im home from work about to go to bed and cant sleep because this problem is bothering, anyone have any hints?

are u sure the 128mb is compatible with his motherboard and working properly?
try a different one and see wat comes up

methinks the main reason was the hard drive to begin with. HOWEVER since youre in this mess have you changed the IDE cables?

i tried with 2 different sticks of 128 and that motherboard did not seem "advanced" enough to not accept 128 sticks. and i did try with the IDE cables that originally came with the PC and the new set that came with the motherboard.

I did just read something about certain power supplies failing to deliver the proper voltage to either the mobo connectors or the P4 supply plug which causes the CPU to hang, anyone hear of anything to support that?

BTW thanx for the help guys! :D

how many watts is the psu? what brand? And if there was a power surge, then the psu would be a suspect... try replacing it.

k problem fixed, the problem was that the old power supply burnt the old motherboard, and when i replaced it with a new psu and mobo, the new mobo had a bad cmos chip on it which caused the PC to hang. Problem solved by taking a CMOS chip off the same model motherboard and replacing it.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom