Please, God, help me! Computer won't boot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

complication

Solid State Member
Inside my rig I have 2 hard drives, an older and obviously a newer one. The slave drive has EXTREMELY important information on it that I can NOT lose.

For some time now, and this is my fault, I've been hearing clicking sounds, some wheezing, but if I power off and then power on it stops. It's been going like this for sometime.

I'm on the computer today, and I had to power off, and when I tried t reload it, it says "Can't load OS", and something about not being able t oboot from CD.

I restarted, can't even get past the initial startup screen. I can't even get into Setup!

Also, I noticed my MOBOs temperature reading was 52 rather than 48 (fluctuated a bit before hitting 52). Maybe the fan?

Please help me, I need to get those ifles off of my HD. I'm willing to buy a backup HD, but how do I transfer if I can't even get on it?

if the files are on the slave they may be safe. the symptoms sound like the master drive failed as with IDE drives the controller is located on the drive itself and with a master and slave, only the master's controller is used. you could install the slave drive as a slave in another system, install windows on the slave drive or use another drive as a master to install windows on. personally i'd use something called DSL, that's Dam|\|SmallLinux. it's a "live cd" version of linux that you could use to check if the files are still present and transfer them without having to install windows or remove the drive.

nitestick said:
if the files are on the slave they may be safe. the symptoms sound like the master drive failed as with IDE drives the controller is located on the drive itself and with a master and slave, only the master's controller is used. you could install the slave drive as a slave in another system, install windows on the slave drive or use another drive as a master to install windows on. personally i'd use something called DSL, that's Dam|\|SmallLinux. it's a "live cd" version of linux that you could use to check if the files are still present and transfer them without having to install windows or remove the drive.

using the important drive as a slave and then installing windows on it is a bad idea, but yea, putting it in another system and copying the files off is your best bet. and also if possible burn the files to a CD or DVD so you have more than one backup on a disc that cant just stop working like a hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom