PIO/DMA Question - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 01:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default PIO/DMA Question

Hello everyone,

If my hard drive reverted down to PIO mode would that cause the S.M.A.R.T. utility to tell me "Primary Drive is Bad...Backup and replace" upon startup? Would the PIO mode make my hard drive run so slow that S.M.A.R.T. thinks it's bad or would S.M.A.R.T. still be correct about the error message regardless of the PIO/DMA setting?

Old 11-03-2006, 09:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

i think SMART would be correct on this one. like you said, running PIO would just make it slow.

Old 11-10-2006, 05:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Ok, it's not in PIO mode so my hard drive must be bad...one other question...My computer has been overheating and shutting off while gaming...Could this be related to my bad hard drive? It doesn't get hot where the hard drive is but I was thinking maybe the processor is being overworked trying to read data from a bad hard drive at gaming speeds...is this common or even possible?

Thanks!
Old 11-10-2006, 08:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

i doubt that is the cause. a processor can't get hotter than it is at maximum load, gaming should already put your processor at almost maximum load. i reccomend you just treat the symptom and get a better heatsink or remount the one you have now, do you know how to apply thermal compound and mount a heatsink?
Old 11-11-2006, 02:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

No I don't, I read a little about it but i am still unsure where the heatsink is (probably where it feels hot) what to do with it, and how to alter it safely without damaging anything inside
Closed Thread